A Good Start (Chapter Ten)

Elizabeth did not join me for breakfast that morning, it was all good and well since I needed to think clearly anyway. I was not feeling very hungry despite the very delicious looking meal set before me, I play with the food on my plate and thought of the information Melinda had given me.

My heart went out to him; the servants think the whole family is cursed. If that was true, would it not mean that they had committed an unspeakable crime to deserve such a harsh punishment? It still did not make any sense to me.

I picked at my food some more and decided it was time to visit the north wing leaving my barely touched food on the table. I headed straight for the north wing climbing the flight of stairs that opened into a hall way, as I walked through the large hall way that bore portraits of men with striking amber eyes. They all had the same amber eyes but something told me they were not him, until I got to the end of the hall way that opened into a very large ballroom.

The last portrait captivated me, same amber eyes as the others very intense I don't know why but I knew that was him. The human I saw in the portrait with the same intense amber eyes the monster in the library had unsettled me. The human was simply and completely beautiful; he emitted authority and grace in his graze. It could not be the same being, it simply could not.

"I see you have made yourself right at home here."

I turned around and found the monster - Bevan Le Gris paces away from me looking at me intently. How did I not hear him coming up the stairs into the hall way? For one so big and heavy set he was either really quiet or I was really lost in thought.

"I'm sorry if I am intruding, your home is a really interesting place, my Lord."

There was something different about him today. Not because it looked like he had put in some effort to dress himself today.

"Call me Bevan please, like my mother I don't care much for titles."

He sounded like I had offended him with the title; this made me look at him more closely. The shirt he was wearing almost fit him perfectly and was completely buttoned, the tailcoat he had on looked very expensive and almost looked good on him, almost. Its sleeves had intricate design on them, it was also double breasted and the button looked like they had something akin to a griffin engraved on them.

I stared at those buttons longer than any normal person should until he cleared his throat and I looked up. Was that a looked of uneasiness in his eyes?

"I'm sorry my thoughts ran away with me I didn't mean to stare."

He cleared his throat again "I would like to apologize for my behavior yesterday it was uncalled for." He said that while inclining his head a little.

"I apologize also, was not right for me to invade your privacy like that."

"No, no, no you are a guest here I was the one in the wrong."

The soft firmness and complete certainty in his voice made me smile, was he trying to be a good host? He too smiled or at he tried to and it looked like something very alien to him like he never tried to smile before.

"It's a very nice day the weather is fair, would you err... like to take a walk with me? A walk in the winter garden is nice at this time of the day... but it a lot more beautiful at night, but it's nice all the same."

I knew there was a winter garden but I hadn't seen it yet, the thought excited me. "It is very kind of you to offer, that would be nice thank you."

Wasn't it a little odd he suddenly wants to spend time with me? From what I have gathered he prefers to be by himself. There was a part of me that was surprised, curious and a little bit flattered, well just a little. Maybe I would get some answers from him or at least some insight.

"I think the walk after dinner would be better do you not think? The night I have stayed up sometimes at night to look at the stars since I've been here and it has been nothing short of beautiful. So I trust your words - that it's beautiful at night I would very much love to see it at night."

"Very well then, I like it at night too. He was trying to smile again and it made me smile. "Until this evening then, I look forward to our walk." He inclined his head and left, while I stood there staring after him and looking back at the portrait.

The conversation we had happened so fast I did not have the chance to ask him about the portrait and even if I had the chance did I have the courage to ask him? The thought of taking a walk with him excited me in a very irrational way; because the smile on my face did not go away it remained set on my face all day.

So later that afternoon when Elizabeth joined me for lunch it really did not occur to me to she also was as excited as I was or even more excited than I was. She reminded me of the first day I met her - saw her face.

"I'm sorry you had to eat alone this morning dear, I had matters to attend to that needed my attention this morning. Taking care of this castle makes very me weary sometimes."

"Please don't be, I completely understand I would feel guilty if I kept you away from your duties." She gave me a grateful smile and out of nowhere said; "what are your plans for this evening?" without thinking I responded; "Bevan asked me to go on a walk with him" heat raised to my face when I realized I was still smiling and Elizabeth's smile widened considerably.

"I think he just feels guilty that he scared me in the library yesterday."

"Or maybe he would like to spend some time in the company of a beautiful woman, he would be crazy not to." She said her smile breaking into a grin and if it was possible my face became hotter.

Truthfully, I had considered all the reasons why he would want to spend time with me if there were any at all and I haven't come up with anything logical. This made me ask without realizing I was speaking out loud; "What happened to him Elizabeth...?"

She sighed softly and just then her weariness was very visible. "It's a very long story my dear, one I think you should hear from Bevan himself." "I know looking at his physical appearance; it can be hard to look beneath the surface." "He is a very charming beautiful soul inside, he wants to show you he is more than what he looks like and I think the walk is a good start dear." There was my logical reason, but why should he care what I thought of him?