Into The Woods(Chapter Five)

There in front of my eyes, two young men, Abel and Noah were carrying my father. He looked so frail and wasn't awake.
"We don't know, we found him like this, when we were out hunting right after sunrise."
It was Noah that spoke and he went on.
"We took him to the village healer, she had a look at him and found he had a fever but no visible wounds on him."
"She told us to tell you to make him comfortable and to make sure his temperature doesn't go up again."
"She'll come and check on him later."

I had lost composure and my hands were shaking a little.
"Where should we put him Isabel?"
Abel asked softly with pity in his eyes.
I need to get a hold of myself! My father needs me right now.
"Please come in, follow me."
They did and they helped me gently lay him in his bed.

"Thank you so much, both of you. For what you've done for my father. You both may have saved his life."
I told them this sincerely with the brightest smile I  could muster.
They both smiled shyly, "it's nothing really. We are glad we could help. Let us know if you need anything."
"Thank you"

I was seeing them to the door when Mrs Bernard arrived.
"Dear girl I heard what happened, is he alright?"
Her question brought tears to my eyes unbidden. Because I truly didn't know.

"I don't know, they said they found him like that and he won't wake."
She immediately wrapped me I a warm motherly hug.
"He will be fine Isabel, alright?"
I nodded before she let me go.
"Now I will go see if he will need anything or if he needs anything now. You will go make dinner and make sure you make some soup, so that he can have some when he wakes up."
I was glad I had something to do to keep my panicking at bay.

***
"He is awake." That was all Mrs Bernard said to me, I was already up and running towards my Father's room.

"But He's a little confused and it seems he can't move his left arm. He's been mumbling about a very vicious monsters and a magnificent castle. He also can't move his left arm."

This made me stop and turn around to look at her.
"The healer thinks he's had an apoplexy. She says he needs to see a real physician, like the ones they have in the city to confirm and treat him."

An apoplexy is a brain attack that happens when the brain is derived of oxygenated blood. Unable to move his arm...that meant paralysis.
Dear gods...
I nodded not really trusting my self to speak and went into my Father's room.

"Mon-mmm-mons-ter...! My g-g-godds it-t-t w-wasss so h-h-hediousss..."

"He needs to see a physician for treatment in the city which is very expensive."

Alice said softy, "all I can do is help him rest and feel more comfortable." She was packing are things to leave. I nodded, thanked her for coming and she left.

"Papa how are you feeling? Do you need anything?" I said this as I knelt by his side, taking his right hand in my hands.

He was still mumbling incoherently but as I took his hand he stiffened and turn towards me. His eyes went wide as if he was seeing me for the first time since I entered the room.

"Iss-a-bel! ou're h-ere, I-i-i h-ave to k--eep ou s--afe, a--way om thaaa ter--rib--le, ter--rib--le oonster thaa ives in theee ma--gni--ficent cast-le."

"What monster papa?"
I was crying now because I have never in my years seen my father scared of anything. Now he looked truly terrified and it broke my heart.

"T-t-he o-n innnn thaa aa-stle in thhhe o-o-ods, ee wa-n-tts o-o-ou, sss-a-id ee ill t-akkk-e oou inn m-my ss-tea-d. Ii-i imp-ly ca-nn-ot al-lo-w ittt !" I m-ust ggg-o ba-ck, I m-ust!"

"I won't let any monster take you!" He'll have me to contend with, no harm will come to me or you papa I promise"

What had he seen in the forest?
Any other person would think my father has gone mad. But I saw the seriousness and fear in his eyes and I believed he saw a monster.