Of Vicious Monsters And Their Castles(Chapter Seven)

The darkness was oh so peaceful, it was so peaceful it made me fight consciousness. The rays of light on my face felt so warm but it irritated me a little because I didn't want to open my eyes just yet.

The bed was so soft, softer that my bed should be.
I have a bed, it's little, a little bit hard but it was mine... But where was it?

I had a suspicion that if I open my eyes, completely opened them. The light would assault them. And the dull ache in my head would worsen. Maybe I should just lay here for a few minutes more...

"She shot me!"
That voice...so deep, husky, if thunder could speak that would be it's voice.
I know that voice, but how? And from where?
"You must have scared her half to death son, look at the state she's in"

Son? Where was I really?
Reluctantly I opened my eyes.
Sunlight filtered into what appeared to be a very large bedroom through a very large open window that had its drapes not completely drawn apart.

Everything in the room looked very expensive the paintings on the wall, the dresser, the vase on the dresser. Were those roses in the vase? Only people with winter gardens would have roses at this time of the year.
Following the voices I heard, it felt like a difficult task turning my head to my right but I managed.
The door of the bedroom opened to what I presumed was a hall way.
A woman was standing at the door with her back to me. I could not see the one the thunder voice belonged to.

"I cannot help the way I am mother look at me. I'm sure she will live."
"She could be the one, we cannot afford to have her running for the hills."
"I didn't choose this fate, I certainly do not enjoy it mother."
"I understand the possibilities but I refuse to let my hopes get too high, humans are very selfish creatures I've seen far too much disappointment to place all my faith in a frail little girl."

Why did the one with the thunder voice sound so angry? And sad even. And who was he referring to as frail and little?
As if it was the girl's fault she happened to be that way.

My head and my body decided it was time to go back to sleep and I gladly agreed with them. Turning my head towards the window with effort I noticed for the first time, a flag not too far from the window high up on its poll. The drapes partially concealing the window didn't hide the silver coloured Griffin on the blue flag.
It looked like the symbol of a major house... A very ancient house, because nobles didn't care much for details like these nowadays.

I know a story about griffins... I thought as I let sleep take me.
I dreamt of scary griffins and frail little girls that could not get away from them.

***
Hunger woke me from a fitful sleep, as my senses came to me my stomach grumbled loudly.
The delicious aroma of hot tea, what seemed to be a very rich soup and very fresh bread justified my stomach's suggestions.

My mouth was so dry, how long have I been asleep? From the look of the light coming from the window it was almost dusk.

"You're up dear! You gave us quite a scare, you have been asleep for two whole days!"
I know this voice.
I opened my eyes and the most kind face I have ever seen was looking down at me. Have I seen kinder faces? I could not remember. She looked at me with concern and excitement. She had the most beautiful gray eyes I have ever seen. She had a very motherly air about her, that immediately made me long for something. Or someone...

"Whe-erre...?"
I struggled to speak my throat was so dry.
As I tried to sit up in the bed, my body and my head. Especially my head reminded my I had no permission to move about as I please.

"Sssshhh... Here have some tea it will help with your dry throat."
I collected the warm cup from her smiling gratefully.
I downed the contents of the cup quickly and my throat felt better instantly. I told her thank you as I gave the cup back to her.

"What is your name child?" She said gently as she moved the food on the tray to a little table beside my bed sitting herself beside me as she did so.
What is my name? Why can I not remember. Did I not have one?
Where did I come from? What was I doing here?

"I-i-i can not remember..." I said meekly with a lot of confusion. I did not know the answers to any of those questions. There was one thing I did know; I do not like not knowing. My frustration brought tears to my eyes.

She gently placed her hand on mine, "it's alright dear, you will stay with us until you remember and you are strong."
It was not an offer, it was a command spoken by someone used to getting their way.
"Eat now, you are safe here no harm will come to you."She said placing the tray in my laps

"I am Elizabeth, I welcome you wholeheartedly into my home."
She said with a bright smile in an almost formal manner as she stood up to leave.
"If you feel strong enough to take a walk tomorrow I will show you the grounds. I'm sure you will find a lot of interesting things to pass the time with while you recover."
I did feel strangely safe, for a person with no prior memory in a very strange looking environment I felt too safe.

That feeling was short lived.