Bevan Griffon Le Gris ( Chapter Nine)

After supper that night I could not really sleep, I laid awake that night in my bed thinking of what Elizabeth had told me and all its implications. It all made no sense to me, or maybe it was all starting to make sense to me. The north wing of the castle was filled with portraits of men with the same peculiar amber eyes that Elizabeth's son had.

But they were all human, why wasn't he? All the portraits I think are arranged from the ascending order; from the older generation of men up until present. If I was correct, then he should be on the wall too. Was he human before? My restless mind found peace that night right after I decided I would look for the answers I was dying to have myself.

Starting with the north wing, because I was sure Elizabeth will only be willing to tell me what she wanted and I really did not feel it was my place to thrust myself into what was evidently family business. But alas, my nosiness and curiosity general felt natural like a very core part of my being. Maybe there was a way to help him, I am not claiming to have the power of the gods but any kind of knowledge was not a waste. Listen to yourself Bella... you don't know these people and you want to help them?

(Elizabeth started calling me Bella; she said it suited me because I was really pretty. I really didn't agree with her but it was better than not having a name at all.) They were kind enough to take me in and care for me after her son found me almost dead in the forest at night. He had found me... what was I doing out there at night anyway?

I recounted my plan again; first I would go and look at the portraits again to see if he is up there. Then I would speak to the servants without making it too obvious I was trying to squeeze information from them about their master.

The cook Melinda as far as I could tell would offer too much information without even knowing it. She like her mistress liked to talk a lot. She would tell me details of how her day started with alarming detail of how she bathes; unabashedly speaking about all her lady parts. I hope she'd be willing to offer information in that much detail about her employers.

The last part of my plan was to find books - the library and I would have to avoid a certain area of the library be it won't really matter because in the end I would still press both mother and son for some answers. So with a purpose and a plan I slept soundly that night.

"Bella, I swear by the gods above you get prettier with each passing day. Pray, tell me what is your secrete?" "The mercy and the grace of the gods...?" I replied slowly trying to contain my smile, Melinda's flare for the dramatic was very entertaining. Albeit a little annoying sometimes, still it was very heart warming.

In the short time that I've gotten to know the light skinned chubby round girl I felt like I've known her my whole life. And sometimes she almost reminded me of someone, when her no-nonsense attitude surfaced and her temper flared. "Well maybe I should pray specifically for that mercy and grace the gods give you Bella."

"You are beautiful girl Melinda you don't need to be anything more than you are."

"A lot of people would disagree; I was a beautiful child yes. But maturity brought unwanted gifts, growing up here with all the children of the other servants always teasing me when all started noticing the difference between boys and girls wasn't all that bad. I discovered my strengths and they in turn discovered I was not to be the trifled with, now that gift wasn't unwanted."

"So you see my dear Bella I know I'm a very round, delicious and a very handsome woman. I very much like the way I am, regardless of what others might think. But you sometimes feel if my waist was a lot smaller, or like yours then maybe William will not call me a big fat pig in a dress anymore. And on other days when Ernie calls me big and beautiful I enjoy being in my own skin very much."

How she was not breathless after speaking that much was an amazing mystery to me. Seeing my chance when she paused, "You should listen to Ernie more often.

You were born and raised here Melinda?"

"Yes, yes, my family has been with the Griffon Le Gris for generations, The House Griffin that is. Lady Elizabeth's husband died many years before I was born, they don't really speak of him none of us really speak of him.

"And his son?", "Lady Elizabeth hasn't said anything to you has she?" She looked a little uneasy for a second. "No she hasn't really, after I met him in the library yesterday she told me he is her son." "You met him?!" She exclaimed completely wide eyed.

"Yes... but why...?"

"I don't really know Bella no one ever talks about it. Sure there are rumors about it but the truth...no one maybe except the Le Gris knows the real truth. I remember Lord Le Gris when I was a child he was just like us, he was 7 years older when I was only 5 years of age but he was very much human."

She said answering the question on my mind.

"The year I reached 16 years of age we didn't see the young master about anymore he would stay locked up in his quarters, only his mother went in and out of there for months. Until he started coming out of his own accord every servant here is sworn to secrecy because when we finally saw what he had become we the younger ones were really surprised and frightened but the older ones bore none of our fear or surprise as if it was as it should be."

Thoughtfully kneading the dough on the kitchen table now she added, "he was such a happy child from what I remember and very generous too."

"What else do you remember?"

"He was filled with so much life, always running around with the energy of 10 strong men he tired everyone." "I remember a very kind boy, but as he got older he became bitter and when he changed his anger and bitterness he directed towards the whole world and everything in it."

"My father used to always say, responsibility can be a very heavy burden."

"What does that mean?"

"He never said, said I will understand if the gods be kind in my life time. "What about the rumors Melinda?"

"Most of the servants say he is cursed, that his whole family is cursed for something one of their ancestors did."

"Melinda?" she was lost in thought, "umm yes?" "What is his name?" "Bevan Griffon Le Gris, Lord Bevan Griffon Le Gris."