For Hope (Chapter Twenty)

My father's good health and this new part of me that I have discovered made my life more colorful as continued to I explored it. It did not only work on human beings, I could heal animals and plants the all felt different but the warmth from within me could make them whole. Mildred has be requiring healing a lot recently, her broken arm; deep cuts were starting to look very deliberate. I wouldn't put it past the foolish girl to jump off cliffs to for a few moments of euphoria. But alas, I would do anything for that mad girl.

I finally admitted to myself that I missed Bevan, Elizabeth too. I would be lying to myself I did want to see them again. I did not feel anger anymore; I probably never did in the first place. Sadness and a need to see him invaded my heart and have made permanent residence.

I could run from my thoughts when I enter the world of my books, where everything and anything is possible. Happy endings, princesses and princes, heroes ad heroines that always saved the day, wonderful discoveries made by ordinary men, a description of the wonderful world we live in. I can only escape for so long, my reality I did not like very much it has been a little more than a month since my return and void in my heart has continued to grow.

I asked myself why I did not return to him, besides my pride and my father I found that I feared I might not be able to help him after all. Today was one of those days where I needn't go anywhere we had everything we need about the house. The early signs of spring were already here, the weather was nicer outside both at night and in the daytime, but I wanted to be alone with my books and thoughts. Not outside with people forcing a conversation.

My father had tried to make me go on a walk with him but I politely declined, he in turn politely told me he wanted his happy daughter back, that girl that saw each new day as an adventure waiting to happen, I wanted her back too.

The sun was bright up and the atmosphere still held the remnants of morning. I was sitting in my mother's rocking chair by the window in my room with a book on my lap. I did not look at the title I it definitely something I have read before, I would prefer a newspaper but I was very much not in the mood to step outside the house today. It would have been nice to pay a visit to John's wife, the baby was on the way and helping with the preparation never failed to lighten my mood, but alas this book will have to do.

"Isabel my dear, there is someone here to see."

I had not noticed when my father came into my room.

"Who is it?"

Sending up a fervent prayer to the gods above; please let it not be Gabriel I was at the end of my bloody stick with that man. When we returned for almost three weeks I did not lay eyes on him, I thought the gods were merciful, that he had forgotten me and moved on to someone prettier. I was so utterly mistaken, when he started visiting he came around almost every day and spent long hours until my father kicked him out. He would leave promising to be back and promising to prove he is a better choice that that hideous beast in that castle, hideous beast how disappointing I thought for sure he would have come up with a more vulgar and insulting name. However he was planning to prove that I was certain that I would never be his wife.

" Hello Isabel."

I could hardly believe the face behind my father standing outside my bedroom door.

"Elizabeth..."

"May I come in?"

smiling that warm she did that made you smile back at her, "Yes please."

"I'll leave you two to it."

"It is great to see you my child, you're as lovely as ever."

I could not help giving her a hug, I was really happy to see her. We talked for while; with her doing her doing most of the talking and I asking about everything and everyone but for him. I have never been a coward, "How is he?"

"Oh my dear... that is the main reason I am here."

"He is not doing well he has retreated from the world, much like when he first became like that. He won't leave his rooms, he barely eats, and I fear the worst."

"Elizabeth I don't think I can help you..."

"Child I am not asking you to do anything you do not want to do. I am here because there is something you need to know."

"What would that be?"

"It was my fault...?"

"What do you mean?"

"He lied to you on my account, when he brought you home unconscious. I looked at you and I felt in my heart that the gods were finally being kind to us. When you finally woke up without memories of your past, it served as confirmation to me. I saw an opportunity for you to get to know him for who he really was and maybe it would make a difference."

"So you see my dear deception was not his intention, he only obeyed his mother's wish because I hoped when he could not."

"So he was only trying to please you?"

"At first, yes but I know that he truly cares for you my dear. I just wished for his life to be different from that of his Fathers before him and when I saw you that night I dared to hope."

"So you want to be angry, be angry at me. I can hardly apologize for how I have wronged you because you have given me very fond memories my child gods above reward you for that."

"I am not angry Elizabeth, I couldn't be even if I wanted to. I wondered why I felt safe and happy around you even without knowing it you reminded of my mother. You haven't wronged me; you welcomed me into your home and took care of me, for that I am grateful."

Elizabeth left late in the afternoon her very fancy carriage and horses looking very out of place in our little village. Our conversation lifted my spirits and made me worried all at the same time. My father and most especially my pride did not seem like obstacles to me seeing him again. I hope he does get better more for my sake than his.

I was getting ready to start supper when I heard a very timid knock on the front door. I opened the door and the heart shaped face of Ruth greeted me or was it Rosetta? Oh well.

"Hi!"

"Hello Isabel!" she sounded and looked anxious.

"What's the matter dear?"

I said gesturing for her to come in and sit down. "I need to tell you something, it might not mean anything but those men scare me."

"What men?"

"The ones at me ma's tavern, the ones Gabriel is always having a drink and talking with. Otis and his friends."

"Why do they scare you?"

"Me ms asked me to bring them supper, I heard them talking...they were taking about attacking a castle and killing a beast and taking all his treasure so that you can finally become his wife."

I was very calm when I spoke my next words, probably because the information I was receiving sounded quite impossible.

"Are you certain of this?"

"Yes ,yes, they already left."

"Why would you tell me this?"

"He was good to you? The owner of the castle?" I nodded yes. "It is not to take things that don't belong to ya"

"Gabriel has been calling him a monster."

"Everybody knows Gabriel lies sometimes, well most times still don't make it right what they want to do. Riana and Ruth refused to believe me I had to tell someone..." Ah this is Rosetta

"Thank you Rosetta."

When she left I thought long and on what action I would take with the information I had. My father was not home yet...what if what Rosetta told was really true? Gabriel and that lot were hardly a good combination. If I went back even if nothing bad would befall them, I would see for myself how he is doing. With that decision made, I left my father a note and saddled Bolt and left.