Easy Read (Loki x Male Reader) Pt 1

You never liked reading books. Ever since you found out that you could read people, books never really interested you as much as those who were around you. Who needed fantasy when you could simply step outside and figure out that someone was an alien from outer space the whole time or that someone who looked completely normal was a serial killer. Because of this skill, you managed to land a job in SHIELD. Interrogation unit. You didn't need to even speak to them, you just needed to look them in the eye and you got what you needed.

Unfortunately, this skill had some downsides. Your love life was a mess. Most of your relationships ended quickly, usually with you finding out their real intentions and leaving them before they could do you any harm. It left you wary of anyone who approached you. Your trust in others plummeted to where you couldn't hold some friendships anymore or even remotely act normal in public. Luckily, you still had a group of friends left that would never let you down. Hopefully.

————————————————————————————

"Agent (l/n), I need you to meet me on the helicarrier at 1200," Director Fury's voice echoed through your head as you walked briskly onto the helicarrier's platform. Director Fury was waiting for you and began walking with you as you entered the interior.

"So who do I need to interrogate now?"

"Well, as you may have seen on the news, we've apprehended the man who terrorised Stuttgart. I need you to monitor him while Agent Romanoff interrogates him."

"You're not sending me in?"

"You're our best asset, if Loki gets his hands on you, he might make you one of his," Fury replied, approaching the conference table. You looked around to see Steve Rogers, Tony Stark, a man with a red cape and golden hair, and a man in glasses who looked like he didn't want to be here. You tried your best not to read them, averting your eyes away to look at a wall instead.

"Avengers, I'd like to introduce you to Agent (l/n), he's here to help with Loki," Fury introduced. "The reason he's not looking at you is purely for courtesy. He can read any of you like an open book and find out all your secrets, even if he doesn't want to. He just has to be looking at you." You cleared your throat in embarrassment and prepared for the onslaught of questions. Everyone always did ask at least something.

"Alright, Agent (l/n)," Tony's voice piped up. "Tell me something these people don't know," he said, motioning around the conference table. You sighed and looked at him right in the eyes. A multitude of images flashed in your head, your eye caught on Tony making the first Iron Man suit and conversing with a man.

————————————————————————————

"What do I call you?" Tony asked in the memory.

"My name is Yinsen," Yinsen replied. The memory flashed forward to Tony seeing Yinsen's body on the ground, with Tony trying to get Yinsen up so he can see his family again, only to hear "My family is dead. I'm going to see them now, Stark." 

————————————————————————————

"A man named Yinsen saved your life in the cave you were being held at, he was shot trying to buy you time and told you he was seeing his family because they were-" you cut yourself off and swallowed. Tony's expression immediately fell at the memory and he let out a breath he didn't know he was holding.

"You had to go for that one, huh," Tony sighed. He got up from his chair and walked off.

"I'm going to go monitor Loki," you said quietly before walking off towards the chamber where he was held. You entered a side room where you watched through cameras. The screens all focused on Loki from all sides, making sure that every move he made was captured on camera. He was... absolutely beautiful. You were immediately enthralled with the way he looked, his dark hair falling down to his shoulders as the tips curled up with mischief, a mixture of ice blue and emerald shined in his eyes. You leaned closer to the screen, confused as to why he had that ice blue in the first place. His memories then began to flow into your mind as you watched him. They played out in your mind like a film, filling your heart with grief and pity for the life that this man had to live. You then stopped at an image of Loki being tortured, screaming out into the void as a humanoid burned him. He hung limp against the chains, sobbing.

"Had enough?" a voice from behind echoed. A large purple being sat upon a throne, a look of malice on his face as his henchmen inflicted pain on Loki. Loki didn't reply. He only shivered before the purple being stood up and took a sceptre, handed to him by one of his henchmen. Loki was flipped towards the man, his chest out in the open. The sceptre was lowered slowly down onto the centre of Loki's chest. Loki tensed up for a moment before completely relaxing. The henchmen released Loki from his chains and he fell onto his knees, kneeling in front of the taller man in front of him. Loki stood up from his kneeling position, armour magically appearing onto him as he straightened his posture. The purple man placed the sceptre into Loki's hands and walked off. A bright light filled the memory as the setting changed entirely. He was now in the former, now destroyed, SHIELD headquarters, kneeling near the Tesseract. You blinked as the memory faded away. You focused on the screen again and saw that Loki was staring directly at you.

"Who's there watching me?" Loki inquired. "I felt your presence in my mind, don't try to hide from me." Even his voice was enthralling. This was dangerous. If you developed feelings for the enemy, it would jeopardise the entire mission. You quickly stood up and left the camera room.

'Shit, shit, shit, shit, shit,' you thought to yourself. He already knew your presence here and now that you revealed yourself, he was going to come after you. You passed by Director Fury who had been looking for you and he held out an arm to stop you. You ran into it and were broken out of your thoughts. Director Fury cleared his throat and you stopped.

"Agent Romanoff is heading down to interrogate Loki now, I need you to head to the video surveillance room," he ordered. You swallowed and nodded before turning around to head back towards the room. "You ok, (y/n)? You look like you saw a ghost," Fury asked.

"I'm fine!" you quickly called out after him. He stood there for a moment before walking off. You entered the surveillance room and sat down on the chair, eyes darting towards Natasha as she entered the chamber quietly. Loki was looking up towards the camera at you as he paces back and forth. He stops as Natasha stops in front of the glass wall between them.

"There's not that many people that can sneak up on me," Loki commented as he turned towards Natasha.

"But you figured I'd come," Natasha replied. You watched the entire conversation play out and felt adrenaline pump through your veins as he revealed his plans with the Hulk. Your eyes widened as you stood up quickly.

"He's planning on losing, he's still in there," you dashed out of the room. "Not exactly for long though," you said to yourself. You took out your radio and spoke into it. "Loki's bringing backup, he's planning on breaking out." There was no reply though. Unfortunately, the Avengers were bickering amongst each other, all under the influence of the sceptre that sat in the room. Radio silence was the only response and you were thrown aside into the wall as an explosive took out on of the helicarrier's turbine engines.

"Hill!?" Fury's voice echoed through the radio.

"Where the hell were you!" you yelled into the radio. "Loki's gonna break out, he has a group coming to get him." You shakily got up and began running towards the main console.

"Whatever you do, (y/n), stay away from Loki!" Fury echoed in your ear.

"Got it!" you replied. You took your gun out of the holster and ran off, hugging a corner as you saw enemies running towards the main room. You aimed and shot at some stragglers at the end. The rest ignored you and didn't attempt to shoot at you at all. You quirked a brow and stumbled as another shake tremors throughout the helicarrier. A primal roar was heard throughout it and fear filled your body. You ignored Fury's command and began running towards where Loki would have been held. You ran into the exact moment where Agent Coulson was laying against the wall, phase 2 weapon in his hand. "Phil, Phil, wake up!" you yelled, shaking his shoulder. "Come on, come on, don't die on me," you pleaded. You yelled into the radio "Agent Coulson is down, I need medics in the chamber quick."

"Ah, so you were the one in my head," a voice echoed behind you. You quickly stood up, gun aimed at Loki. He was only a couple feet away from you, his sceptre pointed at your chest. "You're a lot more handsome than I thought."

"Don't do this," you begged.

"Too late."