Let the Sun Shine on Us Once Again (Loki x Nonbinary Reader) Pt 1

The ship was crowded. Of course it was, the entire Asgardian population was stuck on this ship. You elbowed your way through various denizens, desperately trying to reach the destination where Loki was. You noticed him slip to where Thor's room was and when you got through the mass, you sat down against a wall and waited for him to come by.

He was alive. After all these years, he was alive and healthy and here. And you were pissed. Undeniably pissed. Your husband disappears from your life only to come back again to save the day. Your hands burned with fire from your anger and you slammed your fist behind you against the metal wall, leaving a melted dent. You looked up to see Loki staring at you with sadness and regret in his eyes. You stood up and stormed towards Loki.

"Four years, four entire years," you seethed. "And not one hello? Nothing for your beloved?" Loki doesn't move. He can't. He knows for himself that he cannot run away from this. You stopped in front of him, eye contact never breaking. "I thought you were dead," your voice cracked as you said it, tears welling up in your eyes. "But here you are, alive and well." You clenched your fists as they hung at the sides of your body. They still burned, an ember laying in both of your palms.

Loki didn't say anything. He just lifted his hand and brushed a strand of hair away from your face. He was frowning. Not because of you, but because he let this happen.

"It was foolish of me to not tell you I was alive," Loki said quietly. "I was selfish and... an idiot for thinking that you were better off without me." His hands trailed down to yours, the calming blue spreading across his hands as he grabbed yours. You felt the embers leaving and looked up at Loki once again before the tears you were holding in begin to flow out. You ripped a hand out of his and pounded against his chest in anger before sobbing against him. Loki wrapped his arms around you and rested his head on your shoulder. "I'm so sorry, I am truly sorry..." Loki murmured. "You did not deserve this at all, I should have come to you sooner, (y/n). There was never a day that I did not think about you, I should have at least told you I was alive..." You exhaled loudly, attempting to catch a breath soon after and slowly stop sobbing. Loki lifted his head up and pressed a chaste kiss upon your forehead. You felt yourself relax in his arms and wriggled out of them.

"Since you didn't come to me sooner," you said, heaving a breath in attempt to calm down but instead you felt a surge of anger flow through you. You grabbed his collar and pulled him close to your face, glaring into his green eyes. "You're going to tell me everything that I missed." He gulped and nodded.

"I suppose explanations are in order."

————————————————————————————

"You were Odin this whole time?" you whispered.

"I'm surprised you didn't notice something was off when 'Odin' made statues and plays of me," Loki huffed. He was sitting against the wall next to you and fiddling with his hands.

"I wasn't in Asgard at the time," you replied. "I was so distraught when I found out that you were dead that I left for Vanaheim to try to find some solitude and just.... figure myself out," you sighed. "I came back when um... Skurge was manning the Bifrost," you explained.

"Oh, right, I kind of put him there, poor bastard," Loki said, leaning his head against the wall. You pinched the bridge of your nose as you heard it and sighed.

"And after that? Other than Hela forcing us to not only flee our homes, be on this ship, and ultimately destroy Asgard," you said.

"Well, I spent a few months on this place called Sakaar," Loki said. He then pulled at his collar, looking like he had something embarrassing to say. "I erm... had a temporary relationship with the Grandmaster there." You immediately slammed your fist in his stomach and he grunted in pain. "Yup, deserve that."

"Please tell me it was at least purely sexual and not romantic," you sighed.

"Oh, it was merely to get some leeway with him, I just wanted to gain his favour."

"Thank the gods," you dropped your head down in relief. "You horny bastard," you said, pushing his shoulder. "You're lucky I still love you." Loki smiled at you and took hold of your hand.

"What did I ever do to deserve you?" Loki smiled. A feeling of love swelled in his heart, happy that he was back together with his love. He felt a pang of guilt in his chest when he thought about how much pain you were in when you found out he was 'dead' and he was determined to make up for the 4 years he was gone from your life. His thumb rubbed over the ring he gave you all those years ago, the golden sheen a little bit duller than when he first put it on you. He stood up, guiding you to the front of the ship. Thor stood at the window, looking out at the vast expanse of space in front of him.

"Thor," Loki said, clearing his throat. "Do you remember (y/n)?" Thor doesn't turn from his view and replied gruffly.

"Yes, of course I remember them. Why do you ask?" Thor turned around and broke into a big grin. "(y/n)! How was your trip to Vanaheim?"

"Enlightening, unfortunately my magic is affected by my emotions every now and then so I would say that Vanir magic is probably... not fit for Asgardian bodies," you looked at your hand for a moment and looked up at Thor with a smile. "But I'll manage." Thor chuckles and pats your shoulder.

"It's nice to see you again, sibling," Thor smiled. You glanced at Loki and he cleared his throat, wanting to talk to Thor. You smiled at him as you passed by and walked off to give them some privacy.

Loki huffed and stood next to Thor, looking out the window, a mass of colours painting the scene. He cleared his throat and placed his hands behind his back.

"Do you really think it's a good idea to go back to Earth?" Loki asked, his voice laced with concern.

"Sure! They love me there," Thor replied cheerfully.

"Let me rephrase that, do you really think it's a good idea to bring me back to Earth?" Loki huffed as Thor pat his shoulder, realising what Loki meant.

"Probably not, but don't worry, brother... I've got a feeling that everything's going to work out."

"I highly doubt th-" Loki was cut off as his eyes caught on the gigantic ship in front of them. Your eyes caught movement at the window, watching the expanse of the ship engulf your view.