- felons and intruders -

Start from the beginning

Cocking her head to the side, Elenora asked, "The papers?"

Steve's stare diverted, but Bucky turned to look at Elenora, eye to eye. Steve and Bucky had this talk previously, and they weren't quite sure what to do; legally, Steve didn't have to sign anything to claim himself as a parent because of the blood test, but Bucky's case was different. More complex. More...awkward.

"Adoption papers," Bucky elaborated, but when he realized what he said wasn't enough, he coughed nervously. After clearing his throat, Bucky added, "Your dad didn't need adoption papers to gain custody of you, but uh, unless I sign them, I'm only legally your step-father."

Elenora said nothing. She didn't even blink.

Clearly, this was unsettling Bucky, who was starting to ramble, "And it's perfectly fine, ya know if you want me to be your stepfather-"

"I don't want that, " Elenora stated plainly, her hands clasped in her lap.

Steve positioned himself to have a better look at Elenora as he asked, "What do you want, Doll?"

Blue eyes met blue eyes; though they looked similar, Elenora's blue eyes weren't from Bucky. But in her mind, and Steve's, they might as well have been. "Dad's my dad. That's what I want."

Bucky and Steve met stares, an incomprehensible exchange between them.

Elenora pretended not to notice and asked simply, "Can I have a fry?"

His eyes flickering down to his plate, Bucky nodded, saying, "Sure thing, Doll," and placing a handful on her plate. He realized what she was doing -  ignoring the conversation - and he understood why she did it. Elenora and Bucky had this sort of unspoken agreement that they made everything as easy for each other as possible. It was easy for Bucky if Elenora brushed off the conversation. It helped him realize that there was no doubt she wanted him as her dad. Legal dad.

Reaching over, he asked, "Mind if I take your tomato?"

Pushing the plate with the abandoned tomato towards her dad, Elenora exclaimed, "Oh gosh, take it. I can't stand them on my burgers."

***

Patrol was on for Elenora that night, but because of Steve and Bucky's meetings, she arrived much earlier than Peter did. Elenora knew she could find something to entertain her for a few hours.

However, that was unexpectedly harder than Elenora had first imagined.

Besides Tony, it seemed like every Avenger was stuck in a conference room being lectured, briefed or taught, and afraid she'd stumble into a meeting, Elenora took her chances and stuck in the lab with Tony.  She hung out for a while and pretended to work on something, and Tony, having gotten used to Peter doing the same thing, said nothing. That was good for about an hour until he had to leave, too.

Then Elenora was alone again and gave in to her instinct to roam around the towers. She wasn't sure why she assumed that'd be a good idea, but Elenora seemed to have no problem walking around for an hour or two.

Well, that was the original plan.

About twenty minutes into her walk, Elenora walked into some drama.

Like, literally.

With her eyes trained on the ceiling-to-floor windows, Elenora hadn't even noticed the fuming twins around the corner. Before she'd even realized anyone was there, Elenora went face first into Pietro's back, tumbling to the floor.

Pulling away from his hushed conversation, Pietro turned to see Elenora on the ground. From over his shoulder, Wanda watched Pietro help Elenora to her feet, but the tension between them did not fade as Elenora straightened up.