Everything that had once been inside the cupboards was now strewn across the kitchen floor.

Every plate, bowl, glass and mug, was smashed to bits, in heaps against the wall and the kitchen table. I could not see a single piece that was intact.

Every food package was torn open and its contents dumped on the floor. Even the items in cans, were open and poured across the counters and floor.

.

The refrigerator was wide open, dripping water, from an overworked freezer part, that was trying to keep the inside of the freezer cold. But to no avail, as the frozen meats and fish, lay on the floor, thawed out.

I could see some bite marks in some of the meats. I knew my cats had taken advantage of the free feast. Their empty food dishes probably pushed them to do something they would never have done on their own.

Every other item from the refrigerator, was dumped or smashed on the floor.

.

The kitchen table was end up, against the wall and the chairs smashed on top of them.

Curtains and blinds were ripped from the windows and even the paintings were torn from the wall and ripped into pieces on the floor.

.

Evangeline had her cell phone in her hand.

.

"What are you doing?" I asked emptily.

.

"I'm calling the police," she gasped.

.

I put my hand over her cell phone.

"No," I said, breathing heavily. "I will handle this."

.

"But Will, someone ransacked your house. The police should be notified."

.

I shook my head.

"No police, hun. I will handle this."

I was near tears, as I hugged her tightly.

"I will handle this."

.

She stepped back, looking up at me.

"What is going on, Will? Why won't you call the police?"

.

"No police."

I picked up a single rose, that lay on the floor, next to a smashed vase.

I smelled the rose and walked toward the sink. There was a plastic glass on the floor by the sink. I picked it up, filled it with water and put the rose in it.

As I put it on the window ledge over the sink, Evangeline spoke.

.

"Will. You are in shock, sweetie. Let me call the police."

.

"I said ... no ... police."

I turned to her slowly.

"Look, why don't you go to Corner Brook for a couple days? Let me deal with this."

.

"I am not going anywhere."

.

"Please, Eva. Just do as I say."

.

"What is happening Will? What is it that you are not telling me?"

.

I stood in silence. Tears now rolling down my cheeks.

.

She hurried to me, taking my hands in hers, staring at me.

"You're crying. Honey, what's wrong?"

I could see the fear and concern in Evangeline's face, as she wiped the tears from my cheeks.

"What is going on? Please, talk to me."

.

I kissed her forehead.

"Please Eva, let me deal with this. Go to Corner Brook."

I hugged her gently.

"I will call you later tonight, I promise."

.

"I can't leave you alone, with this mess."

She started picking things off the floor, but I stopped her.

.

"Please. I will handle this."

I took the empty cereal box from her hand and put it on the counter.

"Please. Just trust me."

.

She stared into my eyes, for what seemed an eternity and kissed me gently on the lips.

"Will, whatever this is, I can help."

She put her hand to my cheek.

"Please let me help."

.

I shook my head. "Believe me, Eva, there is nothing you can do to help me."

.

"How can you say that? I though we had something special."

.

I smiled slightly and kissed her.

"We do. Believe me, we do, but I just want you to give me this time, to deal with this on my own."

.

"I don't understand."

.

I kissed her again.

"I promise I will explain everything."

.

She nodded her head slightly, taking a deep breath.

"Okay. I do trust you, but know that I am just a call away, if you need me."

.

I took her hand and silently, led her to her car. I took my suitcase from the trunk and put it on the veranda.

"I will be ok."

.

She hugged me again.

"Call me. As soon as you can."

.

"I will. I promise."

I gave her a kiss and opened the car door for her.

.

She sat in the car staring at me.

"I love you Will."

.

It was the first time she had said the words to me.

I should have been ecstatic, but my heart was broken. I forced a smile through the tears. "I love you too."

I kissed her and closed the door to her car.

.

"Call me tonight."

.

I nodded.

"I will."

.

She started the engine and after a few moments staring at me, in silence, she drove off.

.

I watched until she was out of sight down the road and I fell to my knees, crying.

Thirty minutes earlier, I had been the happiest man in the world. Now my world seemed to be crashing down around me.

.

I slowly got to my feet and walked back into my house.