5. A Close Clash

Sunday, April 30th, 1989

The midday sun scorched the sand enough to make Sutton retreat into the teens' sun shelter. He placed a wet towel on Kitiku's head. You are burning up from the heat, Kitiku. I guess even you, Colran, aren't used to this heat. I feel like I am dying, though. He pushed his blond hair out of his eyes and lay down.

Tossing his green poké ball up and down, James sat opposite him. "Damn, match getting cancelled. Can't wait for the next round, though. Li's picture and my picture are up on the same board."

"James, two people got killed. I think that's more important than your match. What if that was you? Your father would kill me, and then you... again." Sutton opened one eye. "You might be strong for your age, but what even is your onix's level strength?"

James screwed up his nose and turned away. "Wouldn't you like to know?"

"I'm guessing, since, well, you haven't evolved your onix, she doesn't have the level-strength to form metal to evolve into steelix." Sutton closed his eyes again but felt a tugging on his bright red t-shirt. "Hmm? Oh, what's up, Kitiku?" He looked into Kitiku's grey eyes.

Kitiku looked at Sutton briefly, then looked back down at his hands. "What do you mean by level-strength? I don't really... I don't battle. Battling is scary," he signed.

Placing his hand on his chin, Sutton took a breath out. How do I explain this in Colrat? He pressed his finger against his lip. "So, you know how you can cook dinner? Experience is knowing what pan to use for what type of food. Level strength is how complicated and good the food you can make is. So for a pokémon battle, I suppose it would be how strong your pokémon can use an attack and how many attacks your pokémon can take as their level-strength, and knowing how to use the attack effectively is experience." He watched Kitiku nod at him, and a little smile crossed his face. Only way to find out and be sure is to wait for a pokémon's move to upgrade or to go to a healer for a test. I wonder how that man is doing?

James got up. "Look, Sutton, no offence, but fuck off back to Elktan."

Sutton leaned back. How could two siblings be so different?

The tarp flopped behind James. He pushed his hands deep into his pockets. Damn Elktan, they ruin everything. He glanced over the corpses covered by tarps. Not me. He stepped onto the battlefield, glancing at Clarence, who was walking away.

I guess it is the teens' turn. That match was a tough one, but when push came to shove, I managed to push through. Clarence walked up to the referee and stood beside her. A gurdurr and an onix. Alright, that's not a bad combination on its own. The theivul on the other side should be an easy takedown, but its red and orange fur can blend into the sad. Oh, now, this is not a favourable matchup at all.

The onix dived underground quickly as the shimmering blade sliced through the air. "Okta, use rock throw!"

Aegislash. Its ghost steel typing really limits them to what they can do about it. If he feels threatened, he will just go and switch back to his shield form. Clarence leaned in against the barrier.

The onix rose up from the sandy ground. It began to sink like water in a sink. She slammed her tail down where she came. The aegislash scrambled away as fast as it could, sicking his sword and then its shield into the sand.

"Okta? Wait, did you learn sand tomb? That's awesome, and it's super effective. The sand is chipping into the steel!" James jumped up and down. His glance darted to Lioa's gurdurr. His heart raced as the large grey pokémon grabbed the thievul's tail. His pink muscles flexed along his arms. "Finish it off, Li!"