13. Takui Family Hell

Thursday, May 4th, 1989

Every day, I see his face. I feel their hatred. Lioa slammed the tip of his shoe into a rock. The so-called Elkran saviours are nothing more than monsters. They aren't good people. He watched as an Elkran soldier pushed a man into the wall in the alleyway and punched him in the face. Twats. Lioa shoved his hands into his pockets.

"Yes, of course. Do not worry, Aaron. Well, it would be rude not to. I don't want them to feel like that. Yes. It's sorted out. Oh, yes, I will arrange it. A few. I can find out." Captain Bourbabel's voice came from the building's window.

Twat. How dare he speak our language. Lioa sneered, scrunching his face up. Ugh, the way that Lord looked at me... It isn't my fault I'm shorter than him. Besides, 5ft 2 is average for our age. Elkran freaks are so tall. "If you were Elkran, you would be expected to be 5ft 6." Screw that crap. Lioa pulled his gurdurr's poké ball out of his pocket and released him.

"Hey! Kid! Put that away or..." a soldier said.

"Or what? I'll kick your shitty little twatty Elkran arse. That blue fucking jacket won't hide the blood. Go home and cry." Lioa stepped back and put his feet apart. "Ruskuo, use low kick!" The large gurdurr placed its girder down and approached the metal fence. It kicked it squarely in the middle, bending it. "That will be you. You twats. Fuck off back to Elktan." He quickly returned his gurdurr.

"Hey! Arrest that boy!" the soldier called out loud enough to be heard by several soldiers and a Lord walking by.

Lioa erupted into laughter. "Come on then!" He sprinted off down a narrow alleyway. He turned around to see three soldiers chasing him. Twats can't get me. He jumped up and placed his hands on top of the wall. Lioa kicked his legs against the stone wall hard enough for parts of it to crumble away. He lay flat and dropped down the other side. He pivoted to continue running.

A thumping, numbing pain flared up through Lioa's cheek and nose. His vision darkened, and he wobbled from side to side. His lip felt wet, so Lioa raised his hand and wiped it. When Lioa pulled his hand away, he saw blood, and he staggered back against the wall.

"Bow to me, you little punk! Why aren't you bowing?" The Lord picked Lioa up by his shirt and threw him onto the floor. A machoke slammed its fist into his stomach.

Lioa keeled over and threw up on the floor. He held his stomach with his left hand and stood above the ground. He gagged again, feeling the stomach acid rise in his throat. He felt the Lord's boot slam into his elbow, sweeping him onto the floor.

"You deserve it. Little Colran runt – the sooner you are wiped out by Lord Piscar, the better." His machoke kicked Lioa in the ribs before stomping off with the Lord. "Get home before curfew. If I see you out here again after the cut-off, I will string you up."

Lioa sat up and looked down at his shirt, now coated in sick. Elkran twat. All of you are the enemy. He stood up and trailed home. Each step felt like ten. Lioa kept his hand pressed against his bleeding nose.

Eventually, Lioa pushed against the door of his home and walked inside. He walked into the kitchen and opened a cupboard. Damn it, I don't think anything in our bandage pile will work.

"Lioa, where were you? What were you doing out there? Why are you late?!" Mrs Takui screamed at him. She grabbed him by the arm and shook him.

Oh great. She is in one of her moods. Lioa looked away and let her shake him.

"Answer me!"

"I was just out, okay? I'm fourteen; I don't need your permission to do everything!" He pushed back against her, and she hit her arm on the sink.

She glared at him. "Is that how you treat me after everything I've done for you? Don't you love me? Don't you respect everything I've ever done?"

It's not like that... Ever since Dad had that affair, you've been on the spinarak web. After he died, you became far worse. Lioa sighed. "Sorry, mum. I don't know what I was thinking." He lowered his head.

"Behave when Vesit gets here, or I'll disown you." She stormed off.

Staring at the floor, Lioa walked up the broken stairs and into his room. Andrew was already tucked into his bed, looking through his school bag. Brushing his swollen lip and nose, Lioa sat on his bed, threw his shirt and blazer onto the floor, and changed into a shirt and shorts. It hurts. His ears twitched as there was a knock on the door. Who's that?

Andrew sat up in bed, and a giant grin crossed his face. "Mum's new boyfriend is here. I hope he is nice. Mum said he is kind and took her to dinner, just like dad used to."

Sure. She has a new boyfriend now? How long has that been going on for? Doesn't she love us? Lioa lay on his bed.

"Hi, your mum said you were both in here," the tall man said. "I am Ves-" His dark beige skin matched his eyes, which locked onto the bag that had just narrowly avoided his head. "I am Vesit. What was that for, Andrew?"

Andrew sat in bed and whispered, "I didn't do anything..."

Lieutenant Bukar took his hat off and placed it on the end of the wooden bed. "Oh, I was under the assumption Lioa would have been taller. Sorry. Oh my, what happened to your face."

"Fuck off." Lioa slumped his head into his pillow. He winced as the pain ached in his body. He felt a hand on his shoulder.

"Did someone hit you? Who?" Lieutenant Bukar asked, sitting next to Lioa. "Do I need to scare someone?"

"Yeah, right. Fuck off. I don't need you." Lioa pulled the blanket up.

Andrew reached over and tugged Lieutenant Bukar's jacket. The straight sleeve started to crease. He yawned, and his eyes drooped. He shuffled under the blanket.

The bed sunk as Lieutenant Bukar sat beside Andrew and smiled, looking into his green eyes. Andrew's deino clambered past him, rubbing her head on his arm as she did. I guess you like me, huh? He saw a photo on the desk from the corner of his eye. Lieutenant Bukar picked up the wooden frame. Hiro, Lioa, Andrew and Laylai Takui, 1982. Lioa was seven, and Andrew was four. Lieutenant Bukar looked back at Lioa. What happened?

"It hurts..." Lioa whispered. "Mum is out, isn't she? I got kicked in the stomach, and I got attacked by the Lord. Not that you can do anything about it. Just fuck off, you too, Rew. You like this twat!"

"I like Vesit. He is nice." Andrew hugged his deino. "I don't have to hate him just because you do, Lioa. I want to have a future. I am going to do good at school and then join a sports team and play in the league."

"Now that's not quite fair. Lioa has his talents, I am sure. You can call me Mr Bukar if you don't want to call me Vesit, don't rush. Goodnight." He closed the door.

Lioa's home life is just as messy as his school life. Will he ever accept Vesit? Does his mother's behaviour explain or justify his own?

Remember to Vote if you enjoyed this Chapter! It is much appreciated!