47

Zaidee Carter

I quickly pushed Kofi away from me, ruining my own enjoyment while doing so. He looked at me with confusion written all over his face.

"I don't want anybody to come and see you here, especially Brandy, she will take anything and run with it, she'll probably try to say you were here with Deja so that she'll get in trouble." I quickly said as my eyes darted to the floor.

"I'm tired of hearin' this Brandy bitch name." He said as he rolled his eyes.

"Yeah she's a mess." I mumbled. "But bye, see you tomorrow." I grabbed my bag off the floor as I noticed him walking to the door.

"Bye." He mumbled before making his exit.

I let out a heavy sigh and made my way to Deja's bedroom. I spotted her sprawled out on her bed, scrolling on her phone.

"Good talk?" She asked me.

I shrugged my shoulders. "Yeah, I guess."

"You are so confusing sometimes." She shook her head at me.

I didn't respond, instead I plopped down on the bed beside her and stared at the ceiling.

"You seen your cousins lately?" Deja asked me once the room fell silent.

I thought about it, it'd been a while since I'd seen or heard from them. "No, I haven't seen them in a while honestly." I shook my head.

"Okay, I'm just tryna make sure they ain't been bothering you. When Tia due date?" She asked me.

"I don't even know." I told her truthfully. I didn't know, nor did I care.

"Well my mama should be home soon, with some food hopefully." She said before giving her phone her overall attention.

**

"How you always be so focused on your work?"

I looked up to see Chase hovering over the table I was sitting at. It was lunchtime and while I was waiting for Deja I was finishing up the assignment from my previous class, so that I didn't have to worry about finishing it for homework.

A polite smile displayed itself on my lips before I shrugged. "I'm not always focused, I'm just finishing this so that I don't have to worry about it later." I said. I watched as he took a seat across from me.

He stared at me for a few seconds before nodding. I ignored his stare and his presence and went back to finishing my work.

"Hey Chase. I haven't seen you since... probably since the day I met you at Kofi's place." Deja made her presence known before sitting down across from me as well, leaving a seat in between her and Chase.

"Wassup." He gave her a head nod.

I wanted to ask him why he was sitting over here and not wherever he usually sat, but I had a feeling that it'd come out rude, plus, he wasn't bothering me.

"Chase! What the hell are you doing?" A high pitched voice rang through my ears and I didn't have to look far to match the voice with a face.

I personally didn't know the girl, I'd seen her around school and in about two of my classes, but I'd never talked to her.

"What you want Cassidy?" Chase looked over at the petite girl.

"This is what I was talking about last night. This right fucking here! You flirting with other females in my face like I don't even matter!" The girl's voice got louder and louder until she had finally gained some attention.

Me and Deja were both looking confused because he definitely wasn't flirting.

"Got these hoes thinking they can have what's mine!" Her pitchy voice rang through my ears again causing me to cringe.

"Sis, first of all, he wasn't even flirting with anybody so you need to calm down." Deja said while looking at the girl.

"Actually, first of all, I wasn't talking to you." She pointed her finger at Deja.

"Girl nobody want your nigga, so just take him and leave." I said, rolling my eyes in the process. She was just drawing attention and I didn't feel like listening to her.

"Hell the way you was smiling all in his face got me thinking otherwise." She looked at me.

I shrugged. "I don't want him."

"So you say, just stick to being one of Kofi's bitches. Don't touch what's mine." She said 'sternly'. My eyes grew a little wide.

"Girl get the fuck out my face before I get mad." I didn't bother looking her way.

She was quiet for a few seconds. "Chase lets go." She ordered and he followed.

How the hell she train him like that? Nigga didn't say a word.

"None of my business." I mumbled. I hurried up and finished up what I was working on as if Chase had never even walked over here.

"You riding home with Kofi?" Deja asked me.

"I didn't ask him, probably not though." I said. "This morning he told me that, that Hayley girl... I think that's her name... but anyways he told me she was supposed to be transferring here. I'm not sure if he really meant to be telling me her business or if he just didn't want me jumping to conclusions, but he was saying she had to leave her private school because of things at home." I began stuffing my book and folder into my bag.

"I don't even know how to react to something like that. Where is he now?" She asked me.

I shrugged. "I'm not sure. I haven't really seen him since this morning."

"I swear if y'all get back together and he cheat again we jumping him. I'll worry about the consequences later." She glared at me.

"Fuck the consequences." I mumbled.

Thankfully we were able to change the subject of the conversation and talk about something that wasn't going to irritate the both of us. Lunch flew by and so did the rest of the day.

Before I knew it, I was sitting in the passenger seat of Deja's car ready to leave the school parking lot.

I closed my eyes and began slowly drifting off, before I could actually fall asleep my phone started ringing.

I quickly picked it up and answered it.

"Hello?" I answered in a flat tone.

"Tell Deja to drop you off at my place." Kofi's voice entered my ear.

"Okay. Is that all?" I asked.

"Yeah." He said before hanging up.