{9} Dreaming of Riley {A Moment of Anger}

Start from the beginning

I really was not in the mood to deal with her. I gritted my teeth, curling my hands into balls as I took my place at my desk. "Sorry, Ms but I was not feeling very well on Friday."

Just get through the lesson. Just get through it. I thought to myself.

"Oh, but I'm sure you're feeling quite alright now? So much so that I'm sure you wouldn't mind running to the art block to deliver a message for me?"

***

By the time I had finished running around doing her stupid errands, the bell had rung and I stood hunched over outside my Math's classroom, gasping for breath.

It had turned out that Ms Apalberg had not needed glue from the art block, which stood at the end of the property, across the two rugby/hockey fields and up and down the art block stars. My next 'errand' was to rush to the pool, which was in the direction of the art block - across the fields and back - and to measure the perimeter of the pool.

I knew they were things that Ms Apalberg was making up just torture me and to get me out of her class. But, quite frankly, I was that I was being sent on these errands, it got me away from sitting through the entire Maths lesson listening to her rant on about things that I could not care less about and, also, this way I didn't have to bare the stares I was receiving from my classmates and the emptiness that was Kimi's absence by my side.

Bending over, I suddenly saw a flick of movement in my perpetual view. I stood up quickly to lock gaze with Kimi, who quickly turned away.

Not again, I thought, boosting myself upwards and hurling myself in her direction.

"Kimi!" I called out. "Kimi?"

I followed easily as she ran away, although tired, I had always been good in a chase.

We ran through the entire Math's block and as we turned into the corridor leading towards the English classrooms we were greeted by the sight of Riley holding Todd up against the wall by his shirt.

Kimi stopped dead at the sight, so as a result I came crashing into her. We both stumbled to the ground.

Kimi gave out a strange noise as she hit the floor as all her breath was released from the pressure.

I tried to help her out, by extending out my hand but she simply looked at me with a strange look in her eyes.

That's weird; I could have sworn it was... fear?

She lifted herself to her feet, and seeing my hurt gaze, quickly averted her gaze to the spot where she had previously been.

I then focused my attention on the two boys, who had also frozen at our advance.

"Todd?" I questioned, searching his eyes with mine. "What's going on?"

He looked up at me with guilt in his eyes, before glaring at Riley - who glared straight back.

"Tell her," Riley commanded through gritted teeth after a long moment of silence.

In front of me Kimi looked frightened.

The silence was too much for me; I couldn't help but scream out in frustration, "Explain!"

Kimi jumped back in fright.

I looked at her with wide eyes; we'd been friends since we were ten, she'd been there through it all. What had happened that she couldn't even bring herself to look into my eyes?

It was Todd who eventually broke the silence, but I do believe that Riley's grip that was getting closer and closer to Todd's neck played an important roll.

"Peyton, I don't think we should go out anymore."

I looked at him in pained shock, "What?" I stammered.

"I'm sorry but... my feelings changed."

Tears sprung to my eyes, and slowly oozed their way down my check. "I don't understand."

"Thursday night, I realized how different we are, and I want someone who I can connect with, not someone who shies away."

I turned to Kimi, my lip trembled.

I think my face said it all because Kimi finally met my eyes, "I'm so sorry, Peyton."

And it all clicked. I wasn't stupid.

I realized that Kimi must have decided to come to Todd's party, and after I had left, who knew what had gone on.

"No," I said, squeezing my eyes tight, willing myself not to cry. I stayed like that for a moment until I felt that I could control myself. "Don't speak to me. Ever," I stated firmly before turning on my heel and fleeing down the corridor.

I heard movement behind me and Todd's angry voice, "Now look at what you've done."

Before I heard the sound of following footsteps, but I pressed forward, not daring myself to look back.

Suddenly a strong hand caught on to my arm, forcing me to stop. It spun me around to face none other than the notorious Riley himself.

"Peyton," he said and his grip was still firm on my arm.

That was when my anger flared. "What the hell?" I cried in rage. "What is your problem? Why won't you leave me alone?"

He looked at me, his face gave nothing away. He was silent for a moment before he spoke in a quite, controlled voice. "Because I understand."

I lost it. I turned around to face him fully, pulled back my arm and hit him in the chest.

He barely flinched.

"No, you don't!" I screamed in rage, the tears that I had tried to prevent bursting out. "You do not understand and you don't know me, and that's not going to change."

And with that, I turned and fled. I didn't care for the moment.

I didn't think about Riley as the guy who I was attracted to, I just saw him as the annoying guy who kept getting in my way.

In that moment of anger, it was Riley who had caused this.

It was his fault that I'd left the party early.

And that was all I could see and think.

For that moment, that was the truth...

I guess I sort of regret that.

Tell me what you think!

*AuroraRush*