{9} Dreaming of Riley {A Moment of Anger}

Chapter 9: A Moment of Anger

Jazz looked at me with horror struck eyes. "You mean you don't know?"

"No, I'm asking 'cause I'm bored," I said rolling my eyes, my voice dripping with sarcasm.

"Oh, um... But weren't you at Todd's party?" she asked, looking slightly uncomfortable.

I bit my lip. "I was there... Um, briefly," I said before a thought struck. "But what does that have to do with it?"

"Um, Well," she trailed, licking her lips and refusing to look me in the eye. She looked around as if looking for an excuse to leave.

I furrowed my eyebrows in irritation.

"Look, I'm sorry but I've," and she started to come up with an excuse but was saved by the distinctively loud ringing of the bell, telling us to get to assembly.

Slowly I made my way to the hall, Jazz having slipped away at the first possible moment.

I walked on, dragging my feet as I went, I really didn't understand what was happening here. This whole thing felt like an out of body experience and the only thing that I could feel was anger... An anger which boiled inside of me and seemed intensify with each passing moment. I felt angry at Todd for avoiding me and at Kimi for seriously avoiding me and I was angry at Riley... Just for being Riley.

I entered into the hall quickly, not bothering to acknowledge the stares I was receiving from the already seated crowds. I made my way to a seat right at the back; it would be harder to stare if I sat right at the back.

***

People seriously amaze me. Throughout almost the whole service I was not graced by the beautiful sight of the back of the student body's heads' but instead was greeted by the sight of a sea of colourfully assorted eyes, staring with such intensity that it shocked me that their eyes didn't pop right out of their sockets.

As soon as the headmaster called the head boy and girl up to usher the school out the hall, I was up and out of my seat.

"Where do you think you're going?" I heard the voice of my strict but liberal English teacher, Mr Gray question behind me. He was possibly our youngest and best looking teacher with his dark hair, and stubble that I suppose he thought looked cool, his deep brown eyes and rough edge voice that held a slight British accent from his youth. He was kind and considerate but also knew how to be fair and didn't pick favourites. He had a personality similar to mine. He was a kindred spirit and probably may favourite teacher ever.

I stopped in my tracks, but turned putting a careful smile on my face. "Sorry Mr Gray but I'm really popping for the loo and," I started, trying to make my voice sound innocent but not too goody-goody.

But Mr Gray smiled and placed his hand on the small of my back, "Come on, now let's get you out of here."

I love my English teacher.

***

I had just finished my third period, which lucky enough had been English, and was making my way towards Maths at a snail's pace. Kimi, who sat next to me in almost every lesson usually, but today had traded places in every class, except Home Economics which had set placing, and all the while she didn't say a word to me. She wouldn't even look at me.

And all the while, I'm thinking What the hell is going on?

When I entered the land of the damned, also known as fourth period, Mathematics, Ms Apalberg had a scowl on her face.

How unsurprising...

She smiled cold and falsely at my entrance. "Well I see that you finally decided to grace us with your presence, have you? It's so kind of you to join us."