"Nells, what's was da name of da Doves' little girl. Jeannie? Joanie?"

.

Nellie shook her head, while sipping on her beer.

"No, Jarge. her name was Jenny."

.

"Are youse sure, old lady? I thinks it were Joanie."

.

Nellie hit her husband in the shoulder.

"Don't be callin' me old lady, old man."

.

George laughed and looked at me.

"Nells doesn't likes it when I calls 'er dat."

.

"No I don't, you old billy goat."

She looked at me and smiled.

"The little girl's name was Jenny. I 'members it, even ifin dat old goat doesn't"

.

I could barely breathe. Whisper's name was Jenny Dove.

I think there was a tear in my eye.

.

George nodded, sipping his whiskey.

"Yes, maid. I believes youse right. It was Jinny."

George took another sip of whiskey, shaking his head.

"It's a shame what 'appened to dem. Was da worst fire we ever hads here in da Rock."

.

My heart jumped to my throat.

"Fire? What happened?"

Now I was sitting forward on my chair. I was sure they could hear my heart pounding.

.

"It was back in '49 or '50."

.

"'51, Jarge," Nellie corrected him, shaking her head.

.

"Tanks Nells. It was 1951. I was just a little boy, I would have been seven. Jinny was a few years older than I was."

.

"She was 'leven, Jarge. She was 'head of us in school."

.

George slapped my back.

"Dats why youse needs a gud woman, Will, me son. So when youse gits old like I is, dey can 'member things for ya."

He laughed, pouring another whiskey.

.

"You don't be needin' dat, my son," Nellie cracked, taking the glass from him.

.

He took another glass that was in front of Sheila and poured another drink.

"I needs dis fer tellin' da story. Helps me 'member."

.

Nellie laughed and poured some Coke in the whiskey she had taken from her husband.

"You be needin' more then dat bottle, old man."

.

George nodded. "She was 'leven," he said, continuing the story, ignoring his wife.

"We was havin' da worst storm dat we had in years. It was so bad dat no one cud move anywhere. We was all stuck indoors. It was late at nite. I 'member lookin' out da window and seein' like an orange glow against the sky."