Glass

The day in the city with Dove and Emma when well, Jackson seemed like he enjoyed running around my home town and seeing the sights of New York for the point of view of locals. The next morning Jackson and I were getting ready to leave and head back home. I know it's sad to say but I think I'm actually excited to head back to Africa. It's not that I don't love my family and New York, but Africa is my home now.

I took a shower the night before since I know I'll end up taking one as soon as we land. Jackson is in the shower while I am packing the rest of my things. My parents are at work and Emma said she'd be out with some friends. I am walking around the room making sure that I have everything packed up and ready to go. It's only 11, but still. Jackson walks out of the bathroom, "Get everything?" he chuckles as I walk around the room.

"I think so." I nod and look over to him.

Jackson shrugs his shoulders and holds the towel he has wrapped around his waist, "worst case we pay for your parents to ship something back to us. Not a big deal."

"It is when we spent emergency money to get up here."

"It was an emergency, so I think it was emergency money well spent. Plus we have been smart about our money and we still have plenty, we could take a whole other trip if we wanted."

I shake my head, "We aren't that well off."

"No, but we could if we needed to."

"Let's hope we don't."

"I agree. But I'm just saying. You're stressing more then you need to."

I nod, "I know, I am. It's just what I do."

Jackson starts to get dressed, while I sit on the bed and look over wheater reports on my phone. Suddenly, we hear the sound of breaking glass coming from the living room. Jackson looks over to me and whispers, "Stay here." before leaving the room.

Do I listen? No. This isn't the first time I've investigated a noise and it's not going to be the last. After Jackson steps out into the hallway I step out with him, grabbing my dad's bat out of his room. Jackson turns back to me and whispers, "I thought I told you to stay put." I shrug my shoulders and Jackson nods before I offer him the bat. "You're coming, aren't you?" I nod and smile before Jackson sighs and continues down the hallway. When we get to the living room we see that a glass cup had been dropped in the main room.

Emma jumps as she rounds the corner of the kitchen, with a broom and dustpan. As she jumps she steps on a piece of glass and shouts, "OW! Dang, it!"

I step past Jackson, careful not to step in the glass myself, "Sit down." I help her over to a couch, "What are you doing? I thought you were out."

"I got back early." Emma winces. "I thought you guys were gone already?"

"We are getting ready to leave We were almost out the door." I look around, "Does mom keep the first-aid kit in the bathroom still?"

Emma nods, but before I can get up from my kneeling position I hear Jackson, "I got it."

As he runs heads back to get the first-aid kit, I clean up the glass. When he gets back I work on getting the glass out of Emma's foot. It doesn't take long, thankfully. "What happened?" I look up to her as I wrap her foot.

"I got a drink and was going to my room to get some work done and tripped."

I nod, "And you dropped the glass."

"Yup."

Jackson chuckles, "it's nice to know Kat it's the only clumsy one."

Once I'm done with Emma, Jackson and I get our bags and get ready to head out. "You sure you're okay?" I look over to Emma.

"Yeah," she nods, "I've been through worse." She and I hug, "Go catch your plane, don't forget to call and write."

"I will. Love you."

"Love you."

Jackson and Emma hug, "Nice to see you again, Emma."

"It's always nice to see you, Jackson. Don't forget to watch out for her down there."

"It's kind of my job." Jackson chuckles.

When Jackson and I get back down to Botswana and make the long drive to the camp. We get settled back in and start working within a few days. Jackson goes out drinking with Abe before we start back and gets to go on his first safari back and first of the season hung over, but I stay behind and don't go out with the boys.

I don't know what it is but something doesn't feel right, I can't put my finger on it but something feels off. While we were in New York Jackson and I had heard about two male lions that escaped a zoo in LA and killed a few people. But Jackson and I thought it was animals who had been in captivity doing exactly what they are hardwired to do in the wild. Protect themselves and find food. Little did we know it would be that start of a problem we'd be fighting for the next fifteen years.