Chapter 4

Adrien's POV

I woke up this morning, as tired as ever. Last night my lady and I stayed on top of the Eiffel Tower until midnight, in a comfortable silence, only talking every so often. It was amazing, but I couldn't stop thinking about Marinette.

I looked down at my wrist and ran my finger across her name. Marinette. The girl I'd known for what felt like so long, but only has really been a little over a year. Ever since her name appeared on my wrist a couple months ago, I couldn't stop thinking about her. I'd see her at school, when we hung out with Alya and Nino, or even sometimes walking down the street while I was Chat Noir. 

I became fascinated by every little thing she did. The way she stared off into space in class, how she hunched over a drawing and then held it up and grinned at it widely when she completed it, how she talked to herself and tried to get up the courage to do something, how she stood up to bullies, and stood up for those who didn't have the courage to do it themselves.

But most of all, I loved how she smiled at me differently than everyone else. Differently how? I wasn't entirely sure, but the way she smiled at me, when she thought I wasn't looking, made my heart melt. Everything she did had become so endearing to me.

Before her birthday, I knew she was my soulmate, but I couldn't tell her. I didn't know if it'd break the magic or something, because no one has ever really talked to me or explained this whole thing.

All I knew, was that I loved Marinette Dupain-Cheng.

←—————→
Marinette's POV

"AAAHHHaaaAAAAAAHHH!!!!  Why is this so confusing??!!?!? Freaking *kick* stupid *kick* soulmate marks!!!!!! aHhHhHhhHHhHhhH!!"

"Girl are you alright?"

I turn around to see Alya peering at me from the trapdoor with concern on her face.

"Do you want me to leave so you can continue screaming, and kicking random things around?"

"No, no, of course not."

"M'kay, good. Because I wasn't going to leave anyways."

I grinned at my best friend and sat down on the chaise. She closed the trapdoor and sat next to me.

"So, what's up girl?" Alya asked me. "Is it about your mark? If it is, you don't have to tell me. Only if you want. I know you said you didn't want to talk about it yesterday, buuuut...."

"Yesterday was just me getting used to it. I'm good now." I told her.

"She looked at me sceptically. "Judging by the way you were screaming about how stupid soulmate marks are, I don't think you're 'good'."

I grimace. "Yeah. You're right. But, I've screamed already, it's out of my system, and you're here, so what do you want to do?"

"Well...."

"Okay, okay, okay. I know you want to hear about my mark."

"Can I see it again? I barely got to see it earlier."

I took a deep breath as I pulled up my sleeve. Alya grabbed my arm and ran her finger over Adrien's name.

"You're so lucky girl! Adrien is your soulmate!! Adrien!! The guy you've had a crush on for, forever!! Why would you be frustrated with this?"

I pulled on my sleeve while debating whether or not to tell her. She was my best friend after all. But if I showed her the paw mark . . . . Alya's no dummy. She'd easily connect the dots. Which would mean my secret would be out. Only to Alya though, and I would trust Alya with my life. Not to mention she hasn't even told me about her being Rena, (even though I know already) so I'm completely certain she wouldn't sell me out like that. So what do I have to lose?

"Mari? You there girl?"

"Huh? Oh, yeah."

"You spaced out on me for a minute there. You never answered my question. Why are you frustrated with this? It's literally perfect!! Isn't this exactly what you daydreamed about for eternity before you found out?"

"Yes . . . . But it's not that simple."

"What do you mean it's not that simple!! It's very simple!! You just need to---"

"Alya. Lemme show you something."

I pulled back my hair, which I'd let down to cover my ear.

Alya looked confused for a minute, but then her face went blank. She looked over at me.

"Chat Noir . . . . ? But, you already have Adrien! . . . . And two soulmate marks? This is unheard of!! Marinette are you serious?"

"As a heart attack." I replied.

"But I thought for sure that Chat Noir's soulmate would be Ladybug, I mean, with them being partners and all. Yeah, it's cliche, but . . . . Hold up. . . ."

Alya suddenly looked at me and I knew, I knew that she knew.