.

John laughed.

"I don't think you have to go to that extreme."

.

"I want to."

I did the math in my head.

"That would be about $4 a kid, give or take."

I took two $50 bills from my wallet.

"That should cover it."

.

Sheila nodded.

"If there is anything left over, I will let you know."

.

I shook my head.

"No, just put together $100 worth of treats and give them all out."

.

She nodded.

"If that's what you want, Will."

.

John put his arm around my shoulder.

"Well come on, me son. Lets us go and yarn a bit."

.

We went into a small office in the back of the store.

John immediately offered me a drink of scotch.

"See boy, I appreciates the gud stuff too."

.

We clinked glasses and we sat down.

.

"So, what brings you into the village. We hasn't been seeing much of you."

.

"Been busy, getting settled in. Pretty much got everything the way I want it now, but I was wondering if you might be able to help me with a few things."

.

"See what I can do."

.

I sipped the scotch. It was a pretty good vintage.

"Well I was wondering about snow clearing for the winter."

.

John nodded.

"Yea, that could be a problem, me son. See the highways does our main road and dats about it. A couple of da men in da village have ploughs on the front of their trucks, but that is pretty much it.

I don't be seeing the highway going all the way to your place, unless you makes some kind of arrangement with government and da highways department."

.

I thought as much.

"Is there anyone in town that can operate a tractor?"

.

John nodded.

"Actually boy, I can. I used to do some heavy machinery back years ago, before I wrenched me back. Now Ise on pension and government subsidy. Plus I have the store and such, but ...

yea. I can drive one of dem tractors."

He laughed.

"What's you thinking about getting' one?"

.

I nodded.

"What would it cost?"

.

"You serious?"

.

I nodded. I had to have my road ploughed or I could be stranded all winter.

.

John took a deep breath.

"'Bout $250 thousand, ifin you bought it new. Used, youse mite git it for half that."

.

I shook my head.

"Not used."

I sipped the scotch, thinking.

"If I buy it, will you make sure that the roads are always clear here."

.

John leaned forward.

"You be serious?"

.

"Very. But I don't know anything about operating it, although, if I get this, part of the deal is that you tech me to operate it."

.

"Me son. If youse buys this village a tractor, I will personally make sure you have the best road on da Island and I will see to it dat you be able to operate it."

.

"What about gas and repairs and such?"

.

John shook his head.

"Don't be worrying about that. I will look after all of that."

.

"Will you look after purchasing the tractor?

Just let me know when you have one located and how much it will cost and I will get a certified cheque for it."

.

He offered me his hand.

"And don't be worrying about the diesel and repairs. I'll git the peoples here to chip in and help."

.

I nodded.

"Well if you need money, you just come and see me."

.

John sat back and smiled.

"I tinks I likes you, Will, me son."

.

"Oh. One other thing.

Do you think I would be able to get some locals to build me a shed and garage on my place?

I kinda forgot about that when I drew up the plans, but I intend to get a small pickup in the spring and I think it would be to my benefit to have a garage big enough for my vehicles."

.

John laughed.

"Don't you be worrying about a garage. Come next summer, youse will have a big ole garage and shed. I will see to that personally."

.

"Thank you."

.

"Can I asks you a personal question, Will?"

.

I nodded.

.

"You don't be one of dem Mafia types dat is in hiding or something. Is you?"

.

I had to laugh.

"If you want to know what I do for a living, John ...

I guess you could say that I am an investor. I came into some money a few years ago and I made some fantastic investments in Yahoo, Google and a bunch of other internet sites and technology companies.

I don't have to work. But I want to be an active member of this community and I want to help, any way I can."

.

John nodded.

"Well, Will, me son. Welcome to the Rock. Maynard's Rock."

.

We toasted one more time.