The Number of the Beast

CC and Vic smiled at me when I left the waiting room.

Once again CC hooked her arm with my own and together we walked without a word being said, Vic staying behind to walk with Maxen.

"So suffice it to say I genuinely don't know what you and Max talked about a moment ago, and it's none of my business...but I should warn you shits about to get even more intense."

I nodded, "I can imagine, those guys are the winners of their last fights so of course they're more aggressive."

She shook her head, "More than that Baby, their...other sides comes out."

I looked at her, of corse I understood that fighters can get consumed in the fight, let their adrenaline guide them...but I felt like she was trying to tell me somehting else.

But of course the second round of fights started and this time Maxen wasn't walking out first.

The crowd went crazy for The shorter stocky guy, his pale skin glowed in the bright lights of the cage. But before the crowd could settle down they only got louder as the menacing music of Maxen began to play throughout the building.

The people outside would be able to watch as well on the screens.

The place roared loudly as Maxen made his way back to the ring, this time when he looked over at CC and I no one could miss the small wink he sent our way.

'Did he just wink at me?'

"I told you he likes you." CC said excitedly now.

"We've hardly even spoken to each other." I countered, not wanting to get my hopes up too much.

"You don't have to talk to someone to have an inital attraction." She put in before Vic joined us again.

"This fight won't be nearly as long." Vic said to me.

"Sounds like you're confident in Maxen winning."

He smirked. "Of course I am, The Beast is the best...but now he's just trying to show off...he was distracted in the first round...but he's good now."

"Gee I wonder what could have distracted him?" CC sounded sarcastically as she gave me a knowing look.

I smiled but rolled my eyes as I got more comfortable in my seat and gave the fighters my full attention...who was I kidding, I gave Maxen my full attention.

The bell sounded and Maxen was quick to dodge the other fighter's fast punches, the other guy moved to try and get some distance but it only gave Maxen the chance to spear him.

Maxen's shoulder made contact with the guys gut, knocking him onto his back and Maxen moved to put the guy in some sort of strangling hold, cutting off the guys air supply.

"He's going to kill him." I said a little worried now.

Vic shook his head but didn't look at me, "Nah, he'll passout from lack of oxygen and they'll call the fight as a knock out...Max is trying to be more tame...apperantly He was told not to get too bloody."

I blushed and looked back at the match.

I could no longer see what was happening as all I could see now was Maxen's sculpted and tattooed back.

"I think it's sweet." CC put in.

"Sweet or not, Max needs to focus, he won't be able to take it easy in the final fight..." Vic said just as the bell sounded signaling the end of the fight. The Ref held up Maxen's hand in victory before the cage was unlocked.

Maxen stepped out and Vic stood to join him back to their waiting room.

Once the fighter who was passed out was taken out of the cage, they cleared away any dirt, sweat, or blood and there was a few minutes intermission before the next match started.

The whole time I watched the fight I couldn't help but wonder what CC's cousin was doing?

I wanted to know if he'd gotten hurt at all, what he was thinking, more so....why was he doing this in first place?

"Hey can we go to the restrooms?" I asked.

She nodded and we both got up to find the toilets. As we moved away from the large iron cage it was easier to hear and talk without having to shout.

"Max is gonna win of course." One guy shouted at another guy.

The other guy protested but then Maxen's fan got in his face. "Wait until the Beast is released...that wolf is a blood thirsty killer."

CC grabbed my hand and pulled me onward.

We finally reached the restrooms and a few girls were talking about how hot the fighters were, others were giving their own predictions much like that guy outside.

As I went into the stall I shook my head as I peed, 'Blood thirtsy wolf?' I wondered.

I got out and washed my hands, CC was waiting by the sinks and smiled at me.

"You good?" I asked her.

She nodded, "Yeah i'll be fine...it's not exactly easily watching your family in the cage, It's kind of demeaning for us..."

I felt bad.

Of course she would be worried about her cousin's well being.

"I'm sure he'll be fine."

She nodded once again, "I know he will be...just worried about the aftermath of tonights big match." She said looking at me.

I shrugged, "Who knows..." I really didn't know what to say...was she talking about the loser of the fight trying to retaliate outside of the cage or something?

She shook her head, "We should get back before Vic comes looking for us...last thing we want to do is worry Vic and Max."

I nodded, "Hey can I ask you something?"

"What's up?"

"Your cousin, I notice you and Vic both calm him Max...does everyone call him Max?"

This time she shrugged, "I mean yeah I guess for the most part...I think only Myrtle, and his parents call him Maxen...but to be honest he's always kinda hated his name so he prefers the nickname."

I felt bad, I had called him Maxen and he didn't even bother correcting me...hope he didn't mind too much.

She looked at me and there was a softness to her eyes, "Let's go Baby."

_____

The next fight was just as quick as Maxen's but much more messier. And the look of the winner really worried me.

He was massive, just pure muscle and hatred in his dark hooded eyes.

This time they only removed the injured man who was knocked out and cleaned the cage's mat but the fighter remained in the ring, Maxen's music sounded and the audience went crazy.

This time CC stood up as he made his walk down to the cage, but besides that the brute of a man in the cage rushed to the wall where CC and I were and literally growled at us.

CC reached her arm out in front of me to almost try and shield me away from the fighter.

I was genuinely terrified, for the slightest moment I thought he was fully capable of breaking through the cage and attacking us.

I couldn't get my heart to calm down or erase the fear from my face, and it must've been on full display as Maxen reached the cage, just like last time he looked at me, but this time there was no winking.

He looked at me, then proceeded into the cage...angry.

I was scared for him.

CC spoke and took my shoulders into her hands as she got me into my seat...but this time there was no getting comfortable in the set as I was nervous and scared and was on the edge of my seat the whole time.