What's Love Got to do With It

He took a moment to look at me, as if silently debating with himself...or maybe he was studying me.

Whatever his reasoning I held still, awaiting his next response on "orders."

"Well Alpha's and Luna Grand's not only lead the pack...but I mentioned they also have power...and that word Power is meant quite certainly as whoever holds the power of the pack has the ability to give orders, orders that us pack members must obey."

"Why must you obey them?" I questioned him further.

This time he shrugged a little bit...I couldn't be annoyed by the small action as I could see it wasn't to be funny or dodge the question.

"Honestly baby I wish I had a solid answer for you but my guess is that when you shift and become part of the pack you sort of surrender yourself to the pack and in turn, you sort of silently swear to uphold pack laws and the leaders orders."

I nodded even though I wasn't sure I fully understood.

"It's easier to go along with if you think of it as Werewolfes are supernatural beings...and with supernatural beings comes supernatural forces and energies and powers...we can't really explain it because to my knowledge no one knows the exact answers on how or why...but it's there and something in us as Weres accepts and acknowledges that power as solid and absolute."

"It's definitely not something we agree to, it's just something within us that responds to our leaders orders." He added.

"And the leader can just order anyone to do anything, anytime they want?" I asked.

"Yes." He responded as if it were nothing. "Of course a good leader doesn't abuse their power and order people around for their own welfare or entertainment, a good leader does what's best for the whole of the pack." He filled me in.

"Then it doesn't sound like you have good leaders."

He nodded his head, "in a way you're right...while the past few leaders haven't been perfect they do keep us safe and the pack does decent financially...but I do have to admit that they tend to hold grudges like no other." He said before easily jumping back to Myrtle's story.

"Like I was saying, while there may be a few people from the bayou who work at the hospital...mostly janitorial staff and a couple of medical assistants Myrtle's the only one from the bayou to own not one but two business on the Northside... and it's mostly due in part to My Uncle James, (Myrtle husband) purchasing the building before they were even married."

"But I thought you said her husband was from another pack?"

He nodded, "glad to know you were paying attention."

I rolled my eyes.

"Anyone can go into other towns and try and start businesses...that's actually how uncle Hames and Myrtle met...originally he'd come into town to open up a bar but he wanted to open one up in the bayou...unfortunately we didn't have the type of space he was looking for...he met Myrtle because she just so happened to be the person who showed him around the bayou as my Uncle Marshall, who was the Omega at the time, was busy with the former Alpha."

I smiled at the thought of Myrtle finding love.

"Anyways she told him about an abandoned building on the Northside and he called up people selling the building and bought it without ever seeing it, just because his mate had suggested it would be a good spot for a bar."

"So that explains the bar but what about her Inn?"

"Well unfortunately not long after my cousin Jude was born Myrtle's husband died...that's when Northside Uptowners tried to break in and cause constant trouble for her so she'd just sell off the building and run back to the bayou..." he said.