Rain

Halo One: Rain:

The bus will be late getting back tonight. Her husband trusted her to make it back home on her own. She looked at her watch. It would be three o'clock in ten minutes. He would be done with his current job and onto the next one in an hour. Her husband never held a stable job. He pretty much worked odd ones to make ends meet on their house. Sometimes, he never made any money. It didn't matter to her; she had her husband by her side in a nice old house in her beloved countryside. When he got home, she would make him a nice dinner.

She became aware of someone sitting next to her on the bench under the shelter. She turned and saw a man dressed in a fancy suit. He had his jacket draped over the back of the bench. He happened to turn and see her.

"Oh, hi," he said, "Didn't see you there." She gave him a slight little wave.

"Hi," she mumbled back. She noticed his nice white shirt and black trousers.

"Did you just come from work?" she asked.

"Yes, in fact I did," the man answered.

"Where do you work?"

"I'm a campaign manager here in Ikebukoro."

She tilted her head puzzled, "Campaign manager?"

The man blinked at her, puzzled. "You're not from here, are you?"

She gave him a surprised look. "How did you know?"

He smiled at her. "You aren't familiar with the city politics and the way you are dressed says it all."

"Oh," she said as she looked down at her white sundress. Her shoes looked just as simple as her dress.

"It's okay with me though," the man said, "I used to come from the country too." She looked up at him with big, curious eyes.

"You did?" she asked.

"Oh yes," he said.

"Then why did you leave?"

"School and work, I went to Todai and got work in the political world."

She nodded at him. "I see."

The man looked at her left hand and happened to notice her ring. "That's a pretty diamond that you have there."

"Oh, my husband gave it to me after we got married."

"You're married? How long?"

"Three months."

The man nodded, "I see."

"What about you? Are you married?"

"Ah, yes. For eleven years now."

"Wow!"

The man shook his head. "It's been a pain for the last couple of years. Lately, all we have been doing is fighting because of my job. But since she's pregnant again, things have been a quieter. That's why I'm trying to get home earlier these days."

"How far along is she?"

"It'll be five months by this evening."

"Congratulations!"

The man bowed his head at her. "Thank you." He noticed her other hand placed at her stomach. "Oh, are you expecting too?"

She blushed and looked down. "I hope so. I just came from the doctor's office to see if I was healthy enough for a baby. They said everything looks good."

"Good luck."

The bus pulled up in the rain. She rose to her feet and headed to the waiting open doors. The man quickly stood up.

"Wait!" he called, "At least tell me your name!" She turned to him on the stair. The rain drowned out her voice and then she was gone.

She wouldn't see him again until six years later on the news.