|chapter eighteen|

There he was. After four days of stressing over his safety, he finally stood before me, right beside my car in the parking lot of our school.

"Luke?" I said and he looked over at me. He looked like something was on his mind. "What are you doing?" I asked, I couldn't help but smile like an idiot. After he'd ignored me for ages he was finally here.

"We have to go Brielle," he said pointing towards my car, so I unlocked it we both got inside. He didn't look sad anymore, he just looked like he had something heavily on his mind. "Luke I-" I began but he put a hand up to stop me.

"Brielle, I have to tell you something," he said. What did he have to tell me? He was breathing a bit heavily but I could tell he was trying to control it. "Go ahead," I said, my attention completely on him now.

He took a few more deep breaths and looked down at his lap. He kept nibbling on his bottom lip, a nervous habit I'd noticed he had. "I'm not sure how you'll take this, but I feel its only right you know," he said. He seemed very nervous and I wasn't sure why.

Finally he looked back up at me, his blue eyes staring directly into mine. "I like you Brielle. I really hope this doesn't drive you away but I need to get all of my feelings off of my chest." He paused, he was trying to read me, I could tell. "You're such a great person, so funny and caring and I love that about you. You're so fucking beautiful, god! I want to know everything about you, every little detail. You drive me absolutely mad Brielle, I don't know what it is. I want to make you mine," he said, and a smile immediately formed on his lips.

Luke was a very attractive guy, he truly was but I would never date him. I liked him only as a friend and I didn't want anything more than a friendship with him.

His smile was contagious, so I found myself smiling like a fool. "Thank you Luke, I really appreciate it but I don't really see you in that way," I said, hoping he wouldn't get mad or upset. His smile immediately dropped but he didn't look mad. "Uh, o-okay I understand," he said looking out of my window and scratching the back of his neck.

I put the key in the ignition and drove off. Luke didn't speak for the first few minutes so I had to break the ice. "Are you mad at me?" I asked. He looked over at me running a hand through his hair. "No not at all." He didn't look sad, mad or upset so I wasn't sure what he was feeling.

"You're a nice guy Luke. I don't want you to think that I'm being mean, you're just not my type," I said, I wanted to clear the air and let him know. He looked over at me and cracked a smile, "It's okay Brielle," he laughed.

He confused me so much, one minute he's mad at us all and the next he's confessing his love for me and the next he's all happy, laughing. What the heck is going on?

"Do you want to come to my place?" I asked. He walked all the way to my school, I figured the least I could do was invite him to hang out at my house. "Will your parents be okay with that?" He asked. "They're at work."

He nodded, "Okay then sure I'll come over if that's cool with you." It way beyond okay with me, Luke was my friend and plus I hadn't talked to him in days. I really wanted to talk to him.

I drove straight home, I was super tired and I just wanted to he in the comfort of my own home. Soon enough, I pulled into my driveway. We both got out of my car and went inside. "You can stay down here, I need to go upstairs and change quickly. I'll be right back," I said bolting upstairs.

I grabbed a pair of grey sweatpants and a black Led Zeppelin t shirt I had. I quickly put it on, I knew I probably looked ridiculous but I was comfortable and thats all that mattered to me.

I walked back downstairs to see Luke standing in my living room area staring at our wall which had various picture frames scattered across it. He was observing them very closely. "Hey there," I laughed after a few seconds of watching him.

"Who's this?" Luke asked and I walked over to see who he was pointing at. My heart dropped into my stomach when I seen who he was pointing at, it was my mother. "T-Thats uh, That's my mom," I said trying to fight back the lump that was immediately in my throat.

"Is she- nevermind. I'm sorry Brielle," he said, I think I embarrassed him by getting upset. "No, it's fine. I just-" I began but I choked on my own words as a tear rolled down my cheek. "No no no no stop Brielle, I'm sorry," Luke said walking over to me and pulling me into a hug. It actually made me feel better for someone to hug me when I was sad.

"She's gone," I managed to squeak out, that's the only words I could force out of my mouth. She held me tighter. "You don't have to tell me Brielle," he said to comfort me. As weird as it was I actually wanted to tell him but I don't think I physically could. I wiped my face with my hands, wiping the tears from my eyes. "I'm sorry Luke. I'm such a mess," I laughed after I was sure I was done crying.

Although I didn't want to be with Luke, I did feel something for him but I'm not sure what exactly what it is. Luke made me feel something I'd never felt, maybe it was just a strong feeling of friendship.

"We can on go my patio if you want," I suggested, and he followed me out to my patio. "This is your patio?" Luke asked wide eyed. I laughed and nodded, he looked very surprised. "Your patio is the size of my living room!" He exclaimed with a giggle.

I let out a laugh and we sat down, admiring our lake in our backyard. "You have a lake too?" He asked. I laughed, "It's my dad's lake," I said. I did not want Luke to think of me as a rich girl, although that's exactly what I was.

"Are you sure you aren't mad at me Luke?" I asked, I needed reassurance that he wouldn't hate me after today just because I didn't want to be with him. He looked over at me, his blue eyes sparkled so beautifully. "I'm not mad at you!" He said with a laugh. "Why are you so paranoid?" He asked and I shrugged.

"I just don't want to lose you as a friend." I said.

**

Author's note:

There were a few song references in this, let's see if you caught them hahah.

I hope you've all enjoyed my story so far. Many more parts to come. I'm trying to plan out exactly how long I want this book to be.

Please add your reading list and comment and vote for my chapter! I appreciate you so so so much !!!!

-k.