chapter 3

"Lizzy, there is no use of hiding any longer," I heard my name being called again by Duke as guards started to look up at the roofs of the structures.

'sweatheart, get out of there... Before he gets to you...' I heard the most irresistible voice float to me with the cool breeze that kissed my skin and felt like fingers pushing a strand of hair away from my face. It get like my heart had started to beat again, igniting the fire inside. Making me feel like a human again. Was that Rome? Was it him that I heard? Did his voice sound that was for me in this body? I was lost for a second. But just for a second.

I turned back right on time to see Duke climbing out of his window and that did the trick. Feeling the panic set in or was it the vampire survival instincts? I did the first thing that hit my mind trying to take the advice of the voice that came with the wind, I launched myself up from my hiding spot and jumped onto the nearest tree branch. I looked over my shoulder only for a split second to realise that it was my biggest mistake.

I had openly given away my location for everyone. Now the only option was to lose them in the woods. I swung from one branch to another as fast as I could and was careful to go in zigzag.

Not very long after, the howling echoed through the night, freezing my already frozen heart. Because it wasn't one or two howls but about some ten to twelve howls.

The moon played hide and seek with the clouds but I knew that I couldn't. These guys could smell me from miles! Yet, I couldn't help but try to lose them.

'Take left and reach the gorge, their barrier ends there. You need to get out of their barrier to reach me...' the winds which blew with me whispered in that mesmerizing voice again. The only thing that I felt was to follow it and I did. I took a sharp left while jumping off the branch and bolted through the woods for whatever gorge I  was supposed to find ahead.

My night-vision providing me with accurate details of my surroundings with highest details. I could see the gap between the land. There was indeed a gorge ahead! And what made me take a swift breath in was a silhouette on the other side of the gorge. The moon was behind him, making it impossible to see his face but nevertheless it was as clear as day to see that it was a man standing on the other side of the gorge.

"Rome?" My voice came out in a whisper as hope blossomed in the pit of my belly. Did he finally come in search of me? How did he find me? What waa Duke going to do about it? Will there be another fight between them?

Many questions started to implode in my head as I leaned forward to increase the speed for the leap I was planning to take. But then, I had thought too soon.

Out of nowhere, I saw another manly built appear before me. His eyes burned with amber hue. His hands went around my speeding body and tried to pull me to a sudden halt. 'Tried' being the keyword because my speed was so high that he ended up spinning around, taking both himself and me down on the ground. Bouncing and rolling for a few metres.

I felt the gashes and cuts on my exposed skin as think liquid seeped out of the wounds but immediately the cuts started to heal not even leaving behind any scars. The familiar stench of werewolf filled my respiratory system completely making me wrinkle my nostrils. The heavy presence of a body holding me close to him like a steel vice demanded my attention. Nothing that my new body couldn't lift.

Duke groaned as his head hit another rock  due to our rough rolling crash. Out the reflex, I pushed him off me once our momentum started to slow down. He was still trying to get over the concussion by shaking his head and closing and opening his eyes as he stared at the ground. I on the other hand back crawled to make another attempt for the get away before I turned to launch myself to my feet. As if the haze of the blurriness faded into the dark of the night, Duke growled in agitation as he tried to grab me by my heel before he launched back to his feet. And I dodged like an agile panther, I was out of his reach in the matter of seconds and stood up observing the warrior wolves and guards surrounding us. Actually cornered me by the edge of the cliff. I could smell the blood in the air. Both mine and Duke's. And with the ultra healing properties of the children of night, his wounds were filling in with utmost speed.

My body tensed at the new discovery, automatically taking up a defensive position and hissing at them to show them my more than usually elongated fangs. The wolves growled warningly when I discreetly glanced back at the other side of the gorge to find the silhouette absent from its original place making me let out a shrill shriek of distress to resonate from my lips.

"What are you doing, Elizabeth? Why are you running away from me?" Duke stood before me with an agitated look on his face. My entire being was filled with aggressiveness towards the people who were trying to stop me from going on to the other side. Towards the calling voice. My eyes narrowed on their own accord and I had no doubt that they were flashing blue at the moment. I was hearing his words but couldn't process it at the moment to reply. He maintained a distance from me like he was tending to a wild animal that was scared and on defence.

He slowly raised his hands trying to convey the message that he meant no harm and he slowly took another step towards me.

'Elizabeth... Come to me, now...' the wind carried another voice now making my pupil dilate and comply to what he ordered. My mind was able to process the fact that it wasn't Rome's voice even when it was just so alluring. Robotically, I turned around and stepped off the side letting the gravity do the rest of the work. My foot met the air as I felt myself go airborne for less than two seconds before I heard a panicked voice shout, "Elizabeth!" And howls echo in the air of the night. I felt a warm hand go around my hand, holding me hanging from the edge of the cliff.

"Hold on!" I heard the familiar voice shout as he dragged me up but all I could do was just stare off in distance. I had lost control over my own body! I couldn't feel any part of it nor could I move it! I couldn't even bloody blink! I had gone completely numb.

I was slowly but surely pulled back up and laid into Duke's arms. He patted my cheek calling, "Elizabeth!" All over again while I just laid there statue still, with an open mouth. Upon not getting any other reaction, he resorted to shaking me rather very violently. I wanted to scream that I can hear him and I wanted to respond but nothing came out of my mouth. Some of the wolves had transformed back into their human forms as they came to Duke's aid, to help me but Duke just growled everyone away. I would have been flushing red if I was still a human looking at the nakedness of their bodies.

He picked me up rather panicked. And looking at him panic, the seriousness of the situation finally set in making me realise something was terribly wrong for me to be frozen like a mannequin. I laid in his arms like a lifeless doll as he carried me away in the bridal style towards god knows where!

Was I dying already? But vampires don't die, right? What was happening to me?

My eye stared wide open but my mind started going blank, disconnecting with the outside world. I was suck back inside of myself. Into the darker side, where everything was black.

Who was that on the other side of the gorge? Why was I so compelled with his words? And where was Rome? Was he really okay?

Those were the last thoughts before everything went blank for me.

_________________________________________

Hey lovelies!

Finally another chapter of Stuck in between is out!

I know a small chapter but an important chapter as you can see😉

Who do you think was the silhouette who was calling for Elizabeth? And what do you think has happened to her?

You will be soon finding it out in the next chapter 😆

And by the way, I have another story on Dreame called 'The Song Of His' which is a Dreame original book and only available there. Do have a look at it and let me know. To let you have an idea about what the book is going to be like, I've put up it's description after this. And if you want to Re-read TETHERED, you will find it over there for free. So be quick before it's put up for VIP list😜

Another thing, you will find a BONUS chapter for TETHERED which wasn't there here in WATTPAD on DREAME! So, get up and download the app now!😘

vote-comment-share

And don't forget to check out my other books over here!

love you all!

- Victoria ❤❤❤