- birthday boy and longing girl -

Start from the beginning

Eventually, the girls headed back over to where Peter and Ned were- right in front of two dance games. Jade and Elenora exchanged a concerned look before watching the fight between Ned and Peter unravel.

"Oh please, Pete, There's no way you could beat one of the girls at this," Ned scoffed, and Peter crossed his arms over his chest defensively. Ned went on, "Yeah, sure, beat me, fine. Totally understandable. But them?" Ned gestured to the two girls, who were watching the two of them skeptically. "Slim chance."

Peter's pride was one thing that he felt he needed to defend on his own birthday, so he looked to Elenora and Jade pleadingly. Raising her hands in surrender, Elenora said, "Not gonna beat him on his birthday."

Jade, however, had a very different approach; "I'll verse you, Parker."

And with that, Jade's leather combat boots and Peter's converse took their place on the two machines, inserting a few coins before they started. At first, the two of them were pretty much tied; their legs were synced together as they hit the different markers on the machine, put after the tempo increased, it wasn't even a fair match. Jade was clearly skilled in this, well, whatever this game was- the movement in her legs became a blur, and Peter spared one look over to her, stumbled and fell off the machine. When Jade heard the loud "GAME OVER" from the speaker next to her, she calmly stepped off the console, trupimphly look at Peter.

Elenora knew Peter had to hold back; he wouldn't be far for him to really try against Jade- he once told El that he didn't think is was fair to use his abilities against people who didn't have them.

But Elenora kinda had enhanced abilties; not as much as Peter but close enough. So as Peter laughed shallowly, knowing he lost purposely, Elenora said, "I'd like a shot."

Peter's head perked up, and he nodded, glancing towards Ned and Jade before hopping on the machine again.

Did he really need permission from Jade? Elenora wondered, but pushed the thought out of her mind as she slipped a coin into the machine, pressing a big, round button at the same time as Peter.

This round started off the same as it did with Jade; the two of them were in sync, pressing down with the right foot at the right time, perfectly doing the moves shown on the machine. When it started to get harder, Elenora and Peter both tried to refrain from using their abilities, but it was useless; they were working hard now, both going at the same pace still, rushing right through the part where Peter failed. The two of them weren't afraid to show their abilities in this way- it wasn't like it was completely obvious they were superheroes. I mean, El wasn't invisible yet and Peter wasn't shooting out webs or lifting a truck.

For once, it felt like Peter and Elenora were an even match.

But then a combination came up, one that Elenora couldn't get down; her left and right foot tangled, and she slipped off the machine right into Peter's leg. With a yelp, Peter stopped his foot from smashing into Elenora's face and grabbed her arm to stop her from falling to the ground. He knew that he'd moved too quick for it to be considered reflex, but Elenora hadn't gotten hurt.

"I'm so sorry," she apologized, pulling away from Peter and straightening up on her machine, the reflection of "GAME OVER" streaking her face.

"Are you okay?" Peter asked in response, his arms still out as if she'd fall again, and Elenora, nodded, looking away anxiously. But when they met eyes again, the two of them burst out in uncontrollable laughter.

Ned and Jade rolled their eyes as Ned exclaimed, "Seriously?" and Jade whined, "C'mon, guys."

Elenora had forgotten that they were there. With wide eyes, she spun away from Peter, stepping off the game, and hoping that she didn't upset Jade.