[6.1]

If there's any inconsistencies in this chapter and the following ones, I'm sorry twt
Feel free to correct me though!

yume

▨▧▨▧▨▧▨▧▨▧▨▧▨▧▨▧▨▧▨▧▨▧▨▧

I knocked on the wooden door of a certain someone's house. I adjusted the basket of a variety of seafood in my arms while waiting for him to open up. I had left Ouji-kun, well, rather Edogawa Akechi in hakase's care for a while since I decided to make a visit to my favorite phantom kid. The door clicking caught my attention and a similar face to my brother's greeted me. Kaito-chan's entire demeanor radiated light when he realized that hi visitor was me.

"Shinobu-neechan!" he practically squealed like a fangirl right into my ear after he hugged me tightly. I chuckled at his enthusiasm and hugged him back with one arm. "You left me so suddenly back there!" he pulled away and whined like a child, even going so far as crossing his arms and puffing his cheeks out to emphasize his annoyance.

If anything, shouldn't I be the one annoyed when a crowd of gossipers metaphorically mauled my privacy? Kaito-chan even got me in trouble with Ouji-kun, er, Chi-chan when I got home. His eyes flickered to the basket in my hold, a glimmer of excitement glinting in his irises. "You brought a gift!" he shrieked in delight, not knowing what kind of terror the content of this basket would give him. But that's okay.

It's just a little payback of mine since he liked to flaunt his Phantom Thief persona to the world and dragged me into it and even smeared my reputation and I wouldn't have any privacy for a very long time, I reckon. It would take a while before that issue with Kaitou Kid die down. I mean, I'm pretty sure my classmates would bring it up every second of the day for every single day. It's a little amusing how they're a lot more excited than the person— me— who received this little rascal's letter.

"Come in, Shinobu-neechan! It's a little messy though." Kaito-chan chuckled in sheepish and the sight that greeted me the moment I stepped foot into his home made me freeze in shock. Clothes were thrown around... practically every where I could see. Even from where I stand, I caught a glimpse of the kitchen's condition and it made my nose scrunch up in disgust. A little messy? Make that a pseudo-dumpster. What does he even do everyday?!

"S-Shinobu-neechan?" in a rather impressive robotic fashion, Kaito-chan turned around to face me. Just in time, too, since I pulled out the gift I bough for him inside the basket in my arms. I saw him turn into ice, his eyes glued to the beady ones of the scaly creature in my other hand. The scales glinted under the living room light and I found it hilarious how Kaito-chan seemed to not realize the trouble he was in.

There wasn't just one fish inside my basket; make that a dozen and a half.

I'd spare everyone the details of my friendly scaly partner's interaction with my childhood friend since I probably traumatized him a bit... okay, a lot. I had dropped the basket of fish at Aoko-chan's place earlier since it would be a waste if I just threw them away. Amidst the chaos of the Scaly Monster vs. The Phantom Thief incident, the whole house was cleaned thanks to Kaito-chan. Currently, he was sprawled on the carpet in his living room, breathing heavily in exhaustion.

"You really should think twice about the consequences of your actions, Kaito-chan. Maybe that's why you aren't my favorite Phantom Thief yet," I teased lightheartedly, nudging his elbow with my foot. "But that's besides the point. I actually do have a reason for visiting you today, Kaito-chan." At this, he looked at me with a curious gaze. "What is it?"

I paused, wondering if it was really okay to intervene like this. But I remembered. Kaito-chan is precious to me like my brother and I refuse to fail this time. I already failed in saving Shinichi, I'm not about to leave Kaito-chan to face the incoming dangers on his own. "Beware of the men in black." Another set of an intense curious gaze met mine. "You'll know when the time comes. If anything happens, you can always come to me, Kaito-chan," I said with a soft smile.

"I won't let any harm come to you."

Silence ensued between the two of us; him lying down there on the carpet while I sat on the couch beside him. I couldn't decipher his thoughts or his feelings because his eyes were blank for some reason. It made it difficult to tell what he was thinking about but more than my own discomfort, I'm just glad that I'll be able to help Kaito-chan. All I can do is be there for him while at the same time  I would be doing the same for Chi-chan and my brother.

I don't know why things happened this way, why Chi-chan got caught up in all of this, why Kaito-chan has to get involved with the men in black; all I knew was that I have to do my best to protect the ones I treasure.

A hand wrapping around my wrist pulled me out of my thoughts and before I knew it, Kaito-chan had pulled me down on top of him. I landed on all fours; my hands were on either side of his head while my knees were on either side of his hips. His grip on my wrist remained tight and I was surprised to see the intensity in his gaze as he looked straight at me. I felt goosebumps run along my spine.

The silence and his stare seemed to make me nervous; why, I have no clue. I just... since when did Kaito-chan become so mature? Earlier, I still saw the same old Kaito-chan who clung to me and fought my brother for my attention. His cute pout would be directed at me when all my attention were on Shinichi, the Phantom Thief at the time, or the books that I would bring over. His chubby cheeks just made him all the more adorable.

As I stare at the Kaito-chan now, there was no sign of baby fats in his face. I could clearly see the line of his jaw, and the urge to trace it popped up. The urge of doing that surprised even me and I snapped out of it before I could move. "You're wrong, Shinobu," the lack of a familiar honorific sent shivers all over my body. He reached up and brushed his cold fingers across my cheek; the sensation alone caused heat to rise up my head.

Just what on earth is going on..?

"I should be the one saying that to you. I'm not gonna let you see me as a kid anymore. I'm not a kid, Shinobu. I'm a perfecly healthy teenager who—" whatever he wanted to say, he was abruptly cut off when a horrified squeal came from none other than Aoko who stood by the entrance door. A dark aura loomed over us and whatever funk Kaito-chan was in, he snapped out of it as terror filled his eyes.

"A-Aoko—"

"— how dare you touch Shinobu-neechan, you pervert!"

A silent yelp left my lips when Kaito-chan picked me up and dodged the broom that would have cracked his head open.

... what did I do in my past life to be dragged into this kind of shenanigans?

(still, the sight of Kaito-chan lacking all childish characteristics left me all flustered.)