6. Colour coded.

I GAVE myself a once over in the mirror one last time before picking up my phone and wallet stuffing them in my pocket and walking out to meet a waiting Sima. I had gotten a message earlier from Pep instructing me that I wore yellow, it was her signature colour. I was simply dressed in dark washed jeans, a crisp, white button-down and a yellow blazer with my suede black Clark's that I purchased earlier this week. My hair was caught in a low puff to show off my side cut and design.

Aunt Cladia wasn't home but I made sure to send her a message letting her know that I'd be going out with Pep. She hasn't expressed her dislike for the company I was around so I guess she didn't know who Pep really was. I fixed the Casio watch on my wrist and made sure my beaded necklace in Rasta colours sat around my neck while the gold chain hung lower on my chest. I knew we had to reach by the allotted time or Pep would be upset; she really disliked tardiness. I knew she was all business but I didn't think she was this tyrannical. Not everything that's glittered in gold is always shining, right?

I had my own key now so there was no more sitting on the porch facing the wrath of the mosquitos that seemed to plague this side of the island. I got into the back of the black, heavily tinted Mark X and gave Sima a small greeting. Pep loved Mark X, and I painted it out to be her signature car of choice even though she drives the latest Mercedes Benz that she had me follow her to clear off the wharf. The car wasn't the only thing she signed for that day and it was only a matter of time before that caught up with me.

"I see that you are in yellow," Sima commented.

"Uh, yeah. Boss told me to wear yellow." I trusted Sima. Even though he said more than he knew, he was very loyal.

"I see." I decided to brush his comment off. Why was he so sceptical? Was there something I was missing? I for one, wasn't a curious person so I allowed it to slide without trying to pry information out of the older man.

"How old are you?" He once again broke the silence.

"I'm 20." I heard him suck in a sharp breath.

"You've got your whole life ahead of you, kid." 

"Yeah, and you've got the road ahead of you, uncle." I rolled my eyes. Sima did this every time he picked me up.

I hated the feeling of being belittled by older people. You had your life to live how you wanted and I am currently making my own decisions and anywhere they took me I would deal with the consequences of my own decisions, as I was so eloquently doing now. I knew what I was up for and even though I didn't have a clue as to what exactly it was, I knew I had to face it head-on, I wasn't going to take it lying down.

"The money, the hype, it won't bring you true happiness. I've been here long enough to know what happens to girls in Pep's employ."

"Good for you. I guess it's my turn to find out now." My comment was snarky and I hope it portrayed my disinterest in this conversation.

"As I said, it won't bring you happiness."

"As I said, mind yours." I closed off the conversation. 

My lifestyle choices were not up for debate. I chose this, I might not have signed up for anything other than getting paid for having sex but who was I really trying to fool? This was bigger than me with my foolish love for money, I couldn't expect it to come so easily and effortlessly. I was strong and I was going to prove it to myself once more by also getting out of this unexpected tyrannical employment.

Did I want to get out, though?

I had to put my thoughts to an end because the car pulled over and I knew we were at the party. I climbed out of the car not sparing a second glance nor final remark at Sima. I closed the door behind me walking up to the entrance of the club that appeared as a warehouse on the outside.