Eleven | Humiliation

Začít od začátku

Stoick whirled around, narrowing his eyes suspiciously.

"What were you doing in the woods?"

Hiccup's cheeks flushed a deep red.

If Stoick knew why he was in the woods - searching traces of that Night Fury - then he would obviously suspect something.

"I...I wanted to go for a walk," Hiccup explained, rubbing the back of his neck.
"I finished my shift early and thought I wanted to be alone. I got lost and I found Snotlout and the twins there. I wasn't sure what they were doing. Then suddenly there was this dragon behind us who chased us all the way to the village,"

Stoick thought about Hiccup's explaining, partly not convinced.

"If that is so, then how come that Jorgenson boy said you brought that dragon here?" he shook his head in dismissal, "Never mind. What you put the village in danger. Do you realize the damage you caused, Hiccup?"

Stoick paused, pinching his tensed forehead.

"How many times do I have to tell you to keep out of trouble?" he breathed out a heavy sigh, "For once, can you stop to think about other people, not just yourself?"

Dejection formed on Stoick's face as he paced around the silent house.

On most days, the house felt so quiet that Hiccup could hear himself breathe or even the creaking of wood very clearly.

For the last fifteen years, it was just him and his father living under this one roof.

Whenever Stoick was out on voyages or tending the village, it was just Hiccup. Though at times it did get lonely, Hiccup was used to be alone.

He barely mingled with people his age. They would never want to sacrifice their time to interact with the village runt, fearing a friendship with him would jeopardize their reputation, and be shunned by the rest of the village.

Sometimes Hiccup wished he had a friend who was there for him. A friend who didn't care what he looked like or the fact he wasn't like a typical Viking. A friend who understands how he feels. A friend who can help find his purpose. There was Gobber, who was his only friend, but there were some things the blacksmith didn't understand.

Hiccup inhaled deeply.

"Snotlout lied to you, dad," he said, raising his voice slightly, "He's always had some grudge towards me. Ever since we were little, he's always hated me. He and the others would gang up on me and did anything to humiliate me. Obviously Snotlout accused me for bringing that dragon cause he-''

"Hiccup, I don't want to hear it!" Stoick cut him off impatiently, "I don't care what that Jorgenson boy did or whether the two of you cannot get along. You were careless and nearly endangered the village,"

Hiccup rolled his eyes, muttering,

"Once again another one-sided conversation," he inhaled deeply, "I wish you could believe me, dad. I would never lure a dragon here. It was an accident, and I did not mean any harm to the village,"

Stoick stared at his son, his thick brows furrowed thoughtfully.

"That's enough, son," he said, averting his eyes away, "I expect you to stay here for the rest of the day where you can't endanger anyone. I'm going back to the village to help clean up your mess. This will teach you a lesson,"

Hiccup's eyes widened like saucers.

"What? I'm grounded? But dad-''

Stoick raised a hand, silencing the boy.