three

"H-" the boy coughed to clear his throat, as his voice came out super squeaky, "Here's your papers from last night's try- It wasn't really a try out, just a meeting. The next meeting is uh, the try out so, sorry I'm bad at this talking thing."

Jack smiled and nodded in understanding.

"Next time we meet up is the try outs so like, come prepared, and yeah." The boy handed the papers in his hand to Jack, and Jack smiled wider, "Thank you."

Jack internally screamed. Did he just talk to someone? Not just anyone, but an actually adorable boy without messing up?

"You're welcome." The boy looked at Jack's eyes, before trying to continue the conversation, "So," he said while dragging out the 'o', "what's your name?"

Jack held the papers and had mixed feelings, he badly wanted to talk to the cutie with glasses but wanted to leave the conversation as quickly as possible, "Um, muh- my-" Jack closed his eyes in embarrassment, "my name is Jack. Wuh- what about you?"

"Oh, I'm Zach. I'm in your history and french class, that sounded creepy."

Jack snorted, "Not really."

Zach's eyes shimmered when Jack asked him if he played basketball. Jack completely regretted talking, of course he played basketball, he thought to himself, you idiot.

"Yeah, but I'm not very good at it. I barely know how to control the ball correctly."

They started walking down the hallway and to the cafeteria, "At least you truh- try."

"Thank you. What about you? Do you play?"

Jack folded the papers and put them into his pocket, "Mhm, I've been playing since I was a kid. My puh-" Jack groaned, "parents -- don't wuh- want to put me into a league, so school is my only hope."

Zach nodded, "Wow." and their conversation only sky-rocketed from there.

They conversed about basketball, to chocolate, to dancing at 3am to Britney Spears and Shawn Mendes. Jack felt comfortable around Zach, a feeling he had yet to have felt with someone.

"Okay, but Where Were You In The Mornin' is the like -- best song off of Shawn Mendes. Fight me." told Zach confidently, while jumping around in his seat like a maniac. They had somehow found their way to a table and sat down.

"No! Particular Taste is such an underrated song and it's amazing!" said Jack.

"Nuh uh, your opinion is in- co- rect." Zach told while snapping his fingers. Jack gasped and crossed his arms.

~

There he lay, under the sheets of his cold bed, overthinking about the day.

He wanted to take a shower, he needed to take a shower, but his mother insisted that he wouldn't. Jack begged, "Please mom, I need to."

"You take a shower every day. Spare our family some change and don't use the water tonight."

But it was like an addiction, he needed to feel clean again. There wasn't any other way. It was a band-aid to his pain, made him feel somewhat better than what he's used to being.

He stared at his dimly lit ceiling with his headphones in, Shawn Mendes singing a soft chorus in his ears.

He couldn't stop thinking about Zach. It pained him to think that his brown eyes and soft brown hair was all he thought about the whole evening, he felt dirty. He felt weird, he felt stupid. He felt that he wasn't supposed to be feeling these feelings when he was talking with Zach.

He couldn't make himself feel clean that night, but music was not the worst replacement.

~~~~~~~

i've been blasting Big Plans all day this isn't healthy i'm hOoOkEd but wtf the jachary chorus slaps like they're literally talking about each other oksorrybyehopeyouenjoyed