Chapter 4 - The Claim

The air hung over the town like damp washing on a still day. Just crossing the street had dresses hugging, shirts clinging and hat bands sticking. Mayor Willard Covey shifted uncomfortably on his chair; the desire to appear official was extracting a price as his vested suit seemed to shrink in size while he listened to the man berating him across the desk.

Corbin Wellman was on a rant. It was his brother's place and now his brother was dead so it was his, period. No question.

"You have to understand, Mr. Wellman, by law we must process all the documents regarding the deed to your brother's property through the proper channels. There are a number of things to be consid-"

"Consider this!" Corbin pounded the desk sending the Mayor's treasured photograph of himself with the governor jittering across to the edge. "It was his and now it's mine!"

"Sir, there is the question of taxes owing, outstanding debts to businesses here in town . . ."

"I don't know nothin' about taxes. If he's dead how can he pay?"

"He doesn't, sir, the new owner does and until they are remitted, the bank retains title."

Corbin stood, glaring, fists clenched and a look that Willard was certain belonged to Death himself.

"Where's this banker?"

"Uh- well, in the bank but you-" His words ended abruptly as the brother snatched up his notification letter and stormed out.

Willard stumbled to his office door, yanking his tie loose and almost ripping the buttons from his vest.

"Edith, get the Sheriff and tell him to get to the bank quickly!"

Leaning in the shade in front of the bank, Nathan saw two of the men he'd met at Wellman's ranch and he steered Edith back to her office, putting his hat on and walking faster to cross the street. They all traded stares as he passed them and entered the bank. Morley Ashbridge was the colour of sunset, hands out in protest as the man in front of him waved a piece of paper threateningly in his glowing face.

"There a problem here?" Nathan asked, moving to one side of the pair. Morley blubbered unintelligibly, sliding along the wall toward his office. "Mr. Wellman?"

Wellman snarled something about rights and shoved the letter at Nathan. It was a notice of his brother's death and the current status of the property.

"You have trouble with this?"

A noisy breath came through Corbin's nose and his face went dark. "I cain't read."

Nathan glanced at Morely, "Didn't he tell you this?" Mutton chops flapped as Morely just shook his head.

"Mr. Wellman, all you had to do was ask for someone to read it for you. Didn't the mayor offer?"

"He told me a lotta crap about taxes and debts!"

"Okay, let's ease back a bit; I can read it for you now."

"I don't care what is reads, I'm tellin' you all that I'm takin' my brother's ranch and anybody comes objectin' are gonna get this."

The gun came quickly out of the holster and Nathan threw up a blocking arm, following it with a solid fist to Corbin's jaw. A woman in the bank screamed as Corbin crashed into the teller's cage and immediately Corbin's friends burst in through the street doors.

"Hold it right there, boys." Nathan waved his own gun, slowing down all the action. "Mr. Corbin you and your friends here would be better off out of town until you can calm down. Your brother's property will be determined by the law not by you yellin' and wavin' a gun around."