Chapter 19- Ivory Tower

Sleep left with its comfortable body of drowsiness when I felt a sudden coolness beside me. My eyes opened gradually as if weighed down by bricks of tiredness, and slowly became accustomed to my familiar surroundings. I was in my bedroom, like I was normally at this time in the early morning, and yet I had the bizarre feeling in my head that I was forgetting something. Something important. And that the thing that had slipped my mind was to do with the sweet, feminine fragrance of roses which I was currently inhaling like a man deprived of oxygen. It was addictive.

And that was my direct hint. Addictive: Carmen.

I suddenly sat up sharply. She was gone- she wasn't in my bed right next to me as she should have been, so where was she? I almost began to panic before I noticed that the air inside of the room wasn't completely still, and a slight breeze was drifting in from windows I usually didn't open. I turned my attention towards the glass doors that were the entrance to my classic, Mediterranean style balcony, to see a small opening letting in the summer wind.

Carmen was stood at the very edge of the balcony, with her hands laying softly on the marble banister, as she gazed deep into the Los Angeles skyline. She was dressed solely in my shirt from the night before and was giving me the sight of her beautiful, seductive legs.

I got out of my bed quietly with the intention of surprising her, and made my way slowly over to her delicate form. The sun had risen mere moments ago and dawn was upon us in beautiful waves of orange, battling the worn-out blue of night-time and shining in triumph.

I was glowing as much as the sky was. Physically I just felt good. It was the best sex my demonic half had probably ever had: I could feel a fraction of the pleasure he felt last night and even that was pretty intoxicating. He was such a lucky bastard but this time I didn't care. It wasn't just him who benefited from this.

When I reached her seemingly oblivious figure, I pressed my naked torso to her back and encircled her body with my arms, placing my hands snugly on hers in a fairly intimate way. The coolness from her close proximity was relaxing and alluring at the same time. She made no sound of surprise when I suddenly wrapped myself around her, so she must have heard me approach. And because of that, we stayed in silence for minutes, staring into the beautiful, cloudless early morning consuming the city of Los Angeles below us, vivid colours of pure nature dancing with unrivalled grace.

"The view is amazing," Carmen breathed out randomly, a strange tinge of sadness shading her words as she broke the air of quietness between us. "You can see so much beauty, so many lives, so many dreams. You just realise how big the world actually is and how insignificant we all are."

I kissed her neck lightly in response, not knowing what to say. She was right. The planet was small in relative terms to the rest of the Universe but contained such vast amounts of life and wonder, therefore becoming full of multitudes through every single life form. The cycle of nature itself was a marvel, so beautifully tragic in every sense and form. At its peak humans were shown things that cannot be described by simple languages because of their splendour, and yet these glorious sights decay and disappear and they are left with mere shadows of their brilliance.

And that was sad. But I wouldn't have it any other way. If the view I was seeing right now was permanent, it would lose its vivid beauty as I would take it for granted, and the nature souls learned to love would no longer be lovable.

The world was of intricate design, light and shadow merging to form a messy masterpiece that so many lives journeyed through and experienced to search for purpose.

And some of us never found what we were looking for. My demonic half told himself that we had found our reason for living, but it was shallow, fake, and unfulfilling. Eventually he would see that purpose was only found through The Creator and The Creator alone, and we would never have access to that.

"Being this high up, this far away from the bustling world below...does it ever make you feel lonely?" She asked me suddenly, drawing me out of my melancholic revelry.

"Sometimes," I admitted, a small smile gracing my face at the slight concern in her voice. "But then I remember that the city looks much more beautiful from up here, then it does down there."

Before she could reply, I turned her gently towards me so that I could finally see her glistening emerald eyes. She rested her hands on my chest as I took into account her fresh face, rosy cheeks and slightly swollen lips that were all clear indicators of our fornication last night. I was glad that I had made that much of an impact on her. Her dreamy gaze from her doe eyes hopefully meant she'd be sticking around and not leaving me anytime soon.

That desperate, clingy and frankly foreign desire within me to keep her around should have scared me. I was part demon, I couldn't afford to have a human girlfriend! But it didn't, and instead I just felt nervous and excited. I wanted her so damn much.

"How are you feeling?" I asked her, my voice husky from the effect of the early morning.

"Sore," she confessed, biting her lip before giving me a teasing look. "You weren't exactly gentle with me."

I suddenly felt incredibly smug and I was sure that it showed on my face. "I don't remember you complaining."

Her entire face went red for a second and she burrowed her head into my chest in embarrassment, avoiding my gaze completely. "Shut up!"

A deep chuckle reverberated in my chest, and I lifted her chin up with my fingers so that I could see her full amusing expression before cupping her face with my hands.

"I want you," I told her bluntly, my voice turning serious for a second. "You must know I want you."

"What do you mean?" She breathed, sounding nervous from my intensity. "You've already had me."

I shook my head. "I want you to be mine, and only mine."

"Yours?"

"Yes. Mine."

Her eyelashes fluttered, a possible reaction of desire from the possessiveness in my tone, but that was the only emotion I could perceive from her expression. Her mysteriousness was frustrating me once again and I hated waiting for anything, let alone as important an answer as this one.

She paused for a couple of moments, staring into my eyes deeply, discerning, calculating, pondering...I felt the oncoming doom of rejection.

But then the silence was lost to the air, and simply one word was uttered in her familiar, quiet whisper that changed everything- for better or for worse, I did not know.

"Okay."