1

It had been seven years since her mother had passed away. Clary was in her room trying to paint a picture that Simon had sent her. He had been her best friend every since they were in nappies but wasn't allowed to live in the institute with her because he was mundane, but he knew everything about the shadowhunter world. Around a year after she had moved into the institute she had asked Maryse if she would be able to install a phone in her bedroom. Maryse agreed and Clary called Simon every day. She was allowed to call him on the phone in the library too but it wasn't private so it don't feel the same to her. She had only started seeing him again in the past three years. She didn't think they would be comfortable with having a mundane in the institute. When she first started calling him Jace had asked her what the deal was with "this Simon dude" and asked her who he was. She found herself explaining a very complicated situation.
"After my - valentine died my mom left the Clave. She knew she was pregnant with me and didn't want me growing up with all that in my life. She knew hat people would want revenge so did it to keep me safe. So I basically grew up a mundane."
"But you knew about the shadow world?"
"Yes, she taught me all the shadowhunter rituals throughout my childhood, so when I turned 12 I would always have the decision and option to become one. I even trained with Luke, he was my moms boyfriend." She'd had a sad look in her eyes.
"Don't you miss him? Luke I mean." He'd asked.
"I miss him but I'm afraid to see him, he's come to see me but I've refused, I feel like I'd just remind him of her and break his heart.
Anyway never mind that, as my mom told me about the shadow world I told Simon, so he knows pretty much everything I do."
"We wouldn't have been able to do something like that, an oath binds is from telling mundanes about us unless they are in grave danger."
"Well I wasn't going to keep this a secret from Simon! He's my best friend, like my other half, my brother." She saw Jace's shoulders relax and smirked to herself. Was he momentarily jealous? But no, he couldn't have been. Guys like him didn't go for girls like her. She'd shrugged it off.

Now he was on holiday and kept sending her pictures of his trip, so she decided to try to paint one but she couldn't, her mind was somewhere else. Every time this time of year came around she became very jittery. She was always worried and mainly just upset. There was a soft knock on her door.
"Come in." She called.
"Hey Clary, how are you?" Asked Izzy coming into the room and hugging Clary. The two girls hadn't gotten on at the start but now they were inseparable. Clary had asked Izzy to become her Parabatai but Izzy has declined. She had said that she didn't  need a parabatai and didn't want to have that responsibility. What she wanted was a sister. "I want you to be my sister." She'd said.
"I'm alright, trying to paint to take my mind off it but it's not really working."
"Well lets go out, my treat. We can invite the boys. Maybe go bowling or go watch a movie or something. Yeah that'll be fun."
"Jace? At the movies? Yeah right! He can't even watch Max's cartoons without getting worked up."
Max was Izzy and Alec's little brother, and had recently turned 9.
"Okay, okay. You're right. Well let's have a girly day instead. We can go shopping and get our nails done. Don't you have a date tomorrow anyway?" She asked winking as she was the one who set it up. "We can get you some new clothes and stuff. What do you say?"
"Fine, but nothing pink!"
"Yay!" Shouted Isabelle, jumping into Clary's arms and nearly knocking her and the easel over.
"Oops, sorry. Right be ready, I'll pick you up in half an hour."
"It's a date." Said Clary, winking at Isabelle.