The Pursuit of Joy

Time was a fickle thing for you. Maybe it was the pain of your injury or the constant exhaustion you felt, but it seemed like people came and went within seconds as you sat in a corner of the bar breathing in shallow breathes. Long breathes brought with them a pain you didn't want to feel even in this numbed state. Your own motions seemed slowed as you walked around the bar. You slowly took a seat at the bar and laid your head upon the wooden surface. This slowed motion seemed to screech to a halt as when you blinked and reopened your eyes, it appeared that everything was moving normally. Was it a dream? Or were you just hallucinating? The exhaustion growing in your body seemed to be affecting everything as even breathing was starting to become a laboring task.

???: Oi.

You slowly swivel your head to find Meliodas calling to you from the door. He waved at you to follow him and his smaller form walked through the front door. You managed to push yourself to your feet and trail after him. What was wrong with you? This question arose in your mind as you seemingly stumbled over air and you had to latch onto the doorway for support. The bright light of day caused you to sheild your eyes, despite the sky being filled with clouds. You took a breath and straightened yourself before moving carefully to join Meliodas.

Meliodas: Morning (N/n)!

(Y/n): Yeah... morning...

Meliodas scanned you up and down quickly noticing that you could barely stand let alone understand what he was saying. You swallowed and let your eyes take in the view before you. It appears your party had stopped at a ghost town. The buildings looked decayed and close to collapsing and there was no sign of any life.

Meliodas: You don't look so good (Y/n). Did you eat some of the food again?

You looked down at Meliodas and ended up blinking a few times. Everything just felt really hot.

(Y/n): I think... I've got a cold or something.

A cough racked through your body bringing it with it a sharp pain in your side and chest. The cough then turned into a fit, a fit so strong and painful it seemingly shook your strained body to the core. Your knees nearly buckled as you brought a hand up to your lips to try and hold back the growing amount of liquid in your mouth. Melodias stepped closer in an attempt to help however he could yet, be it pride or instinctive self-preservation, you waved him off. You coughed out one last breath before finally filling your lungs with oxygen again, swallowing down the coppery tasting substance that had pooled in your mouth.

Meliodas: Are you sure you're alright (N/n)?

(Y/n): I'm fine, just tell me where is everyone.

Meliodas: Uh... they're all around you.

Your eyes widened slowly as you slowly swiveled your head around. Wow... the whole gang was here and you had no clue. Elizabeth seemed concerned for your condition same as Diane, though Diane's eyes seemed to hold a knowing as to why you were this way. Ban simply stared at you with a bored look while you could never really tell what Hawke was thinking unless he was angry.

(Y/n): Ah. So wait did we make it to the... the uh... capital of dead or whatever?

Meliodas: Not quite. Rumor has it, this should be the place closest to it. Let's see if we can get some intel on King and find out where to go from here. And we're all gonna need to earn some food money so I'm gonna put you all to work right away!

Meliodas began listing off where he wished for the others to be. You swallowed down the horrible taste of the substance once again as it had stained your taste buds and caused you to recoil slightly from the foulness. 

Meliodas: -'re in charge of guarding the bar. You look big and scary so it should fit you (N/n).

You would have made a comeback to the captain but you could barely stand let alone come up with jokes and simply nodded your head. While Diane picked up the Captain and began cuddling him into her cheek for making her a billboard apparently you sluggishly walked into the bar, scanned for your weapon and found it against the wall, fallen from the corner you had placed it in before your impromptu nap due to spending the night watching the stars with a certain giant girl. You knelt next to the weapon and gripped the handle knowing that bending over might just take you out. Planting the end of the handle into the wooden floor, you used your waining strength to pull yourself up. Once successfully to your feet, you preceded to nonchalantly use the weapon of your family as a walking stick, a really long and tall one. Once through the door, you discovered the others had gone off to do their tasks, the sound of Diane's voice boomed through the desolate looking village as you caught a glimpse of Ban walking into the town. You let out an exhale and found a seat on the steps of the tavern, letting the weapon rest against your shoulder on an angle so that you could lean upon it as much as it leaned upon you. Under the sound of Diane's voice, you managed to find a bit of silence. Silence of which you used to think carefully about your situation. 

(Y/n:) I can't keep... doing this. You're going to collapse sooner or later and clearly... something is... wrong with your chest. Please don't tell me I broke a rib... no that wouldn't... explain the blood, punctured lung? possibly but not probable... would be much more serious... you're not at death's door yet but he's laying out the... welcome mat. You'll need a doctor... (*Coughs in Salarian*)

Between breaks due to growing discomfort in your side, you managed to have a full conversation with yourself, totally not weird, because hey sometimes the best person to talk to on a matter is yourself. You let an exhale and found the lack of energy in your body driving you toward the only conceivable action of which you found yourself falling asleep.

Waking up was much harder than it had been before. You were "awake" in a sense, but you just couldn't bring your eyes to open. Eh, maybe your body just wanted to sleep some more and said no to your brain (Happens to me). However, you could feel your body being moved and cradled against something soft. Must be Diane but... why would she be moving you? With a grunt, you managed to force your eyes open only to find them flying open at the sight of giant green crystals. How the hell did this happen?! You were napping one minute and the next you were in a mine or something... or... maybe this is the rumored... Capital of the Dead. That means King must be around here somewhere and that meant you, injured or not, and the rest of them would have to find him. And looking at your current state sooner would be much more preferable to later.