Chapter Six: A New Invention

Hiro went down to the café where his friends were, "What's up, Hiro?" Fred smiled and held out a fist. Hiro bumped it with a smile, "I came up with something new. Something for Tadashi." Hiro went on to explain further. Wasabi smiled after he had finished, "That's really nice, Hiro. Such a cool idea. When will it be ready?"

"In a few days. I kept the codes from Tadashi's arm to hook it up. I can do the testing on my own." The group talked excitedly when Hiro showed them his prototype. "This is so exciting!" Honey Lemon cheered. Then the conversation turned to Tadashi's progress. "The doctor says he might come home very soon," Hiro reported the good news. It prompted everyone to laugh at their fond memories with Tadashi. Hiro had relied on these memories and stories for such a long time. Tadashi was the fuel to keep Hiro alive. Anything Hiro could do to keep Tadashi happy, he would. He'd be especially ready to create something that would help ease Tadashi's transition back to normal life, and their friends were equally willing to help. They tested and created in the garage storage space for a while before Honey ordered Chinese takeout for dinner. This was an awesome day because he was with his friends doing something he loved. The team worked for hours, perfecting Hiro's design. Slowly one by one each member of the fivesome left to go home. Fred sleepily left first, even though he had already slept for half the testing time. Next was Wasabi who had a couple of errands to do, and Gogo along with Honey Lemon were the last to leave. Hiro slowly packed his things up and turned off the lights before closing the garage door on his creative process for the night.

Tadashi watched the natural light fade as evening came on. "Seems to be getting late," Carter said from the opposite side. "Yeah, it's close to 7 o'clock. I hope you don't snore." Tadashi joked lightly. "It's up to you to find out." The other boy teased back, "Tell me if I do and I will tell you if you do."

Tadashi looked around the beige room and sighed, "I wish I was home. I miss my own bed." Carter hummed his agreement, "How long have you been here?"

"I was in a month-long coma."

Carter rested his head back and closed his eyes, "Wow. How did you end up in a coma for that long?"

"I don't remember much. I just remember hearing someone say that the college professor was in the burning building. After that it's all a blur of adrenaline." Carter's eyes shot open, "That was you! Everyone in San Fransokyo was talking about that for ages! You were counted dead. How did you live? Wow, you're a hero." Carter was in awe.

"I told you all I know. I don't know anything else. Honestly I wish I did."
Carter hummed, "Are you sure? Even if the story is less than wonderful?" He admonished. Tadashi had to find out what the media knew. Maybe it'd help jog his memory. "I know it seems crazy but I have to know what went on. Hiro and Aunt Cass wouldn't tell me if I asked," Tadashi frowned. Carter could tell he couldn't say much to deter Tadashi and he had known him a sum total of what? Three hours? Carter simply shrugged, "I hope you find what you are looking for with this. A lot of people though you were insane to go in after a person who ended up coming out a supervillain-"

"What?" Tadashi broke in, "Callaghan is alive? He was a supervillain?"

"Oh right, you wouldn't have heard about that yet." Carter murmured sheepishly, "Forget I mentioned it."

How could Tadashi forget something like that? The word "supervillain" couldn't be further from what Callaghan Tadashi knew. To appease Carter though, Tadashi left it alone. They talked about life outside of the hospital, wishing to forget about their present circumstances for just a few minutes. The night slipped by slowly and Tadashi heard his roommate yawn. "Go to bed, Carter. I will be too soon." Carter bid Tadashi goodnight and soon the 21 year old heard calm and easy breathing from the opposite side of the curtain. Tadashi smiled and closed his own eyes. Tadashi listened to the quiet breaths coming from Carter and thought about how he shared his own room with Hiro. Hiro made a lot of noise while sleeping, mainly from thrashing restlessly in bed. Tadashi had told Hiro a few times that since his brain was so smart, the brain didn't get any downtime and was just as active at night as it was in the daytime. An exhausted Hiro would simply groan and cover his head with a pillow to try and sleep for a few more minutes.

It was a small but comforting memory to Tadashi. His brother was his priority and if sleep would aid the recovery so he'd be home to Hiro faster, then Tadashi would sleep all he could.