Chapter Three: Memories

Hiro roused and stretched out in his chair. The beeping was surprisingly soothing to sleep to. He had become accustomed to the machines and the cold bareness of a hospital room, it almost felt like a second home at this point. One element that had changed was that Tadashi had turned on the television to a superhero movie. Hiro smiled, "You haven't changed have you?"

"No, not really. Not much change can happen when you sleep as much as I did." Tadashi shrugged. That made Hiro laugh, "You do have a point there, brother. This was always one of your favorites huh?" Hiro made a comment about the movie. Tadashi nodded and moved the wheeled table aside so that Hiro could move closer. "Are you hungry? I am. I can always eat." Hiro saw the half-eaten breakfast still sitting there on the table.

"That black hole of a stomach you've always had. How was Aunt Cass while I was...incapacitated?"

Hiro thought back on the many nights Aunt Cass cried in her room, over Mochi their cat, or at the dinner table. A lot of times he could hear her throwing things upstairs when she was especially in distress. "Let's just say she ate a lot of stress donuts. She gained a few pounds and then lost them and then gained them again." Tadashi smiled broadly at the somewhat common circumstances that befell their beloved Aunt Cass. "She can't seem to break the vicious cycle with stress and donuts, huh? I suppose until we get out of the picture she will keep on eating those donuts and gaining those pounds." To that Hiro started to laugh and Tadashi chuckled, "I missed that laugh, Hiro. It's one of the best ones I've ever heard." Hiro went up to his brother, "Why did you have to go in there and almost get yourself killed? After Mom and Dad-" Hiro frowned. The proverbial bandage was ripped off again when Tadashi touched Hiro's arm, "I know, Hiro. I know." Hiro hated to cry. He couldn't wait until Tadashi came home then they could wrestle and talk for hours about new projects or eat gummy bears until they got sick. He wanted Tadashi to be the old Tadashi of before. Tadashi was all Hiro had now. "Please, Dashi. Don't scare me like that again." Hiro choked out. Tadashi dropped his tired arm but he felt bad about breaking their tender moment. "Can you tell the nurse to get me something to eat? I am starting to get hungry. Besides, you should get yourself something to eat. We can't let that black vortex in your stomach eat you up."

"I will get the nurse." The pre-teen left through the curtain and went to the nurses' station to report Tadashi's need. After that Hiro went down to the cafeteria and forked out some money for a slice of pizza to eat. While Hiro ate quietly, his mind started to remember the past:

Eight year old Hiro ran up to Tadashi, "Dashi, Dashi!" Fifteen year old Tadashi smiled and bent down to get eye level with his younger brother. "Hey, Hiro. What's going on?"

"I got an A+ on my rock cycle test! Mr. Okanda says I was the only one!" Young Hiro hopped up and down, flapping his paper around excitedly. Tadashi chuckled at his brother's elation, "Have you shown Aunt Cass yet?" When his brother shook his head quickly Tadashi straightened and beckoned Hiro to follow him downstairs to The Lucky Cat Café. Aunt Cass was fussing around with the espresso machine to clean it when Hiro climbed onto a bar stool. "Aunt Cass! I got a 100% on my test!" He produced the paper with a big red A+ in the corner. Aunt Cass saw his excitement and smiled broadly, "Oh, Hiro! That is great news! You know what that deserves?" She paused, building anticipation, "A double hot chocolate." Both brothers cheered and the woman got started. "You're the best brother I could ever ask for!" Tadashi gave Hiro a noogie and smiled back, even broader than before, "And you too squirt. I will never give up on you."

Hiro smiled to himself and wiped his eye quickly to erase a newly formed tear before it ran down his face. That was quintessential Tadashi. Always there to help the family. Ever since Hiro's parents died when they were little, Tadashi was his father figure, one he hated to lose. He had lost so much already. Hiro knew his first responsibility was to look after Tadashi right now but the days sitting mindlessly at the hospital were resulting in boredom. That whole fiasco with Callaghan gave him a buzz that lasted him like a triple espresso coffee latte at finals time. Those would keep you up for a week and Hiro had experience with those.

Hiro headed back upstairs after tossing the empty plate. When Hiro came, Tadashi was eating a plate of chicken stir-fry and rice with a small container of peas on the side. "Is it any good?" Hiro sat down. Tadashi looked over, "Not nearly as good as Aunt Cass' cooking."

Hiro smiled in return, "Yeah. Her hot wings will still melt your face off." Hiro watched Tadashi and he seemed to be having a rough time using the fork. "Um, Tadashi? You know how to eat with a fork right?"

"Yeah. Just seemed like my hand forgot." Tadashi grunted softly as he tried to fix the fork in his uncooperative hand. Hiro watched for a few minutes before picking up the fork out of his brother's hand, "Here. Like this." Tadashi nodded and tried to use the fork with it now positioned correctly in his hand. Finally getting the hang of it, he began to eat easier. "Thanks." He smiled mid-forkful. The two brothers spent a relatively quiet evening in the room until Hiro yawned. "Hiro, you can go home if you want." Tadashi slid the tray away and looked at Hiro. "The main word is 'want' there." Hiro finished the yawn, "I could but I want to be with you all the time." Tadashi smiled at the sweet sentiment and nodded, "I know, Hiro, but I'll be home in no time. Take tomorrow for yourself, okay?"

"What if something happens? And Fred is coming tomorrow."

"Nothing will happen. I can handle Fred. Besides, if something does happen, I am in the best place I can be. Now go home and sleep." Tadashi said that last part in a very brotherly tone. Hiro sighed and gave him a 'But I won't like it' look and got up. He smiled and bid Tadashi goodnight before leaving the hospital and made his way home. Once Hiro came home, he took a package of gummy bears upstairs to his room to relax. He swiped all the clothes off the unmade bed and flopped face first onto the mattress. Hiro opened the gummy bears and stuffed three or four into his mouth. Hiro then looked over to Baymax's charging station and went over to start him up. Baymax had served as a necessary companion for Hiro in the time when Tadashi was gone. He wasn't just the transportation around San Fransokyo when there was a villain to fight but had become a real friend. 'Okay, that sounded weird.' Hiro thought to himself. It felt weird because Baymax was a robot and not a real human, but it had become so true. Hiro had needed a reminder of Tadashi's care through the immediate time after the accident, and Baymax was walking and talking proof.

Once Baymax inflated he blinked and said the usual, "I am Baymax, your personal healthcare companion. Hello, Hiro."

"Hey, Baymax. You know how you said that Tadashi was here? It was a while ago. Well, we found out he is alive and here." Baymax took a scan of Hiro, "Your serotonin levels are low indicating sadness." Baymax said, tilting his head to the side. "I'm fine, Baymax. Nothing is wrong." Hiro shrugged and continued to eat his candy.

"On a scale of one to ten, how would you rate your pain?"

"Zero," Hiro said with a mouthful of candy.

Baymax nodded and looked around the room, found Mochi who had wandered upstairs, and started to chase the cat slowly. Hiro had adjusted his code to include 'zero' in the pain scale. He had become so tired of faking a number to appease Baymax. Now Baymax would simply wander until he was either docked or needed. Hiro honestly couldn't care less about Baymax playing with the cat but he had to make sure the robot didn't go downstairs where Aunt Cass was. Hiro took precious care that Aunt Cass would never know about his dealings in the last month with Baymax. If she did know, who knows how many doughnuts she'd eat. But why did Baymax say that his serotonin levels were low? His brother had just woken up from a month long coma. Hiro was happy. Right? Hiro had some lingering feeling, like nothing was ever going to be the way it was. He attempted to push all the negative thoughts to the back of his mind and relax. Very soon his eyelids drooped closed and he fell into a sound sleep, this time free from nightmares.