Day 25.1/26.0

Amber

 I walk over to some of the other people camped toward the back of the blockade at an agile pace.

"The cars closest to them need to be driven along the side so we can barricade the rest," I order to those nearby. A couple of people park their vehicles to block off the areas that the infected could get through the easiest. 

"Who can fight those things?" I ask, looking around. A few bystanders raise their hands and murmur. 

"Remember the risk. It might be wise to say goodbye to your loved ones just in case," Axel adds, cocking his gun. Confliction arises among the conversations of those who heard, some backing away. 

"Please guys, we can't do this alone," I beg, looking into the eyes of the nearby folk. The beaten-up man raises his hand, saying a word of agreement. Two other guys and a lady step forward, readying their weapons. One of the men proceeds to his wife and kid, hugging his little girl and kissing his wife firmly. I nod in certainty, calming my own nerves. I wasn't sure what lay ahead, but I knew it wasn't dying for nothing.

The rowdy crowd of the infected hiss and growl as they march toward the vehicles. I check out the truck and an RV that blocks the path. The first couple of the infected bump towards the vehicles. 

"Me first, Amber," Axel advises, pressing his toned arm against my shoulders. He jumps into the truck bed and grabs the shoulder of one of them. The knife plunges into the head, hence its collapse. More line up against the vehicles, rocking them lightly. The bruised man joins Axel, standing right next to as if nothing happened. Hank and Jackie go into the truck back as well. I go through the RV after seeing that more infected show-up. This is definitely more than fifteen now.

I grab two pans out of a cabinet door in the RV, running out of the RV through the door on the exposed side of the road. I speedily retreat further away from the camp sights, crashing the pans together. 

"Fresh meat! Come and get me." I look back cautiously, making sure I don't bump into another one. I redirect my attention to the crowd again. I continue to crash the pans together. "Hey, hey... over here."

"Amber! Get back into the RV!" Axel screams. I see him get out of the truck bed, pulling the dented trashcan lid from the backseat. He joins me on the dangerous side of the road, pushing through the crowd, using the lid as a shield. They begin to crowd around him, almost overwhelming him. He swings the lid with a great amount of force, decapitating one of them. The head rolls away, the jaw still snapping at the air. The older guy follows behind him, slicing the heads of them with his rusty saw. I run toward Axel, shouting out about one that was about to bite him. The same man tackles the one about to bite Axel, the infected breaking his fall. He tumbles with it, flinching for a short moment before overcoming the infected. 

Distracted by watching for Axel's safety, one comes up to me from the side and snarls as it reaches for me in arm's length. I kick it down with all my might; it falls with a sickening crunch noise. I step on his chest and dive the knife that I had been sharpening the other day into the skull.

Jackie, Hank, and the other's join us in the crowd. One hovers over Axel, his arms shaking as he forces it from getting too close. More infected fall as the others defeats them. I pull my gun from my waistband impulsively, aiming for the infected. I fire, the bullet flying into its skull. Deep red blood pours out of its head and the body goes limp. He purses his lips and squeezes his eyes shut to not get the blood on his face. The camp draws silent. I run over, the lady that volunteered also hurrying over to him. We pull the infected off him together.