Early memory

It was as if a fog had suddenly dissipated in my mind, I was aware of who I was, where I was, and with whom I was.

My father was on the left front seat of the car, the driving place always belonged to him, very rarely did I see my mother sitting there. As such, my mother usually sat at his side, always, and it wasn't as if it had been imposed on her, it was just how things functioned between my parents. It wasn't some sort of unwritten rule, where my mother, as the woman, had to always be by her man's side, no, it was rather something different, something I would later come to realize was love.

In the back seat, me and my older brother also sat side by side, even though we always ended up either driving our elbows into each other's bellys or tickling each other, to both my parents extreme dismay. However, this trip was unusually quiet, and we were both subdued at least this one time. Maybe it was the fact that our father was in the car with us, and we always made an effort to behave ourselves before our father, his patience was much shorter than our mother's.

I believe that the reason why me and my sibling were both so peaceful for once, was because I was meant to have my very first inner epiphany. No longer were people going to ask my name and would I happily answer "Sofia" and think to myself it was indeed such a great accomplishment, the fact I could utter my own name to others. For that moment on when people asked me that simple, silly question, I would turn sarcastic and make up the most ridiculous names. As a result, to my parents' dismay, people would often call me names that were not my own, and then become extremely surprised when my parents corrected them.