Chapter 6 Negotiations

Start from the beginning

This time Vara did sigh.

Politics.

She was fed up with it. At least back home no one had a need to pretend to like her. They were honest. Here at court it was like stepping into a snake pit.

“You know,” Iolaus said while moving one of his pieces on the board, “you could at least pretend you’re enjoying this.”

As Cyrus would be occupied all day with politics and warfare, he had asked his friend to keep Vara company. Iolaus had complied without protest, but he would have preferred for the company to exist of more than young women eager to get close to  the prince.

“I am enjoying this,” Vara said in a flat tone, “can’t you tell by looking at my face?” She gave him a stiff teeth baring grin.

Iolaus raised an eyebrow. “If I didn’t know any better I’d say you’re about to eat me.”

Vara dropped her grin and leaned back in her chair. “How many more days of this?”

“As many as it takes to come to an understanding.” His eyes moved across the room until they landed on a quiet young woman at the far end. She was standing by herself, looking around uncertain. “Perhaps you should invite her over here,” Iolaus suggested, “she looks awfully uncomfortable.”

Vara followed his gaze and looked at Ariane. The princess of Tireze hadn’t spoken much at all since last night’s banquet. Even now she had not mingled with the other women. And they ignored her.

Vara bit her lip. She knew it was her duty to make the guests feel welcome, but Ariane was just so… demure.

“Vara,” Iolaus said softly, “she is a stranger at court. And Tireze has different customs. She does not know what is expected of her. Remember your first days at court?”

Vara glared at him. She didn’t need the reminder.”Fine,” she said,  “you bring her here.”

A faint smile passed across his lips and he stood up.

Ariane blinked in surprise when the young man from last night appeared at her shoulder to escort her to the lady Vara.

Her hands quickly straightened out some imaginary creases in her dress and she curtsied.

“No need for that,“ he smiled at her kindly, “I am only the son of a minor lord.”

“But you are still a lord,” Ariane said quietly.

Iolaus chuckled. “Hardly, I assure you.” He offered her is arm which she accepted.

“You have such different customs,” Ariane whispered.

“You’ll learn,” Iolaus told her, “the secret is in confidence.” He straightened his back and held his head up high. He winked at her.