Chapter 31

"Hey Jonah!" Sophia spoke up beside me and gave Jonah a little wave.

"Hey," he gave her a lopsided grin that can make any girl swoon, "I didn't expect you guys to be here tonight."

I was still not able to speak; it was like my mind went goo. Not because of Jonah but when there was Jonah there was Asher and the reality that Asher was here somewhere still boggles my mind.

I could feel Sophia shrugged besides me as she continued to make conversation with Asher's best friend. "It's graduation week, we needed to celebrate."

Jonah nodded in understanding and grabbed his two beers from the bartender. "I'll see you guys around." With that, he trudged off. My eyes lingered on him trying to see where he was heading to see if Asher was waiting for him.

Sophia cleared her throat. "Looking for somebody?" She asked, eyebrows raised in suspicion. I rolled my eyes at my best friend and a knowing smirk plastered on her face.

I shrugged, not trying to give anything away. "Just looking to see if there's anyone in here that I recognized." My shoulder slumped when Jonah disappeared from my view.

"He's not here tonight." She sighed, gulping down her beer.

"Who?" I played innocent.

Sophia stifled a laugh. "Asher," she laughed, and I glared at her. "Jonah already told me he wasn't going to be here. That's why I took you here tonight."

"Since when were you and Jonah a thing?" I asked curiously. After Asher and I parted ways, I thought Jonah and Sophia did the same although they were never officially a thing.

She shrugged. "We talk on and off. At first, he texted me to see how you were doing because Asher always asked about you but then after the accident, Jonah needed someone to talk to and our conversation switched from you and Asher to school or random topics."

"What accident?"

"Asher was late to pick up his mom at her job because Jonah and Asher were smoking and when he finally picked her up, it was too late." She explained.

"Too late for what?" I encouraged her to continue.

"Apparently, while waiting for Asher, his mom got assaulted and by the time they found her, she was beaten so bad that her face was disfigured. She's still at the hospital."

"What!" I exclaimed, "That's awful."

She nodded in agreement. "Asher blamed himself and Jonah felt awful of course but their friendship was never the same after that. Jonah tells me that Asher barely talks to him now."

"We have to go see him. Jonah can give me his address." I got up to leave but Sophia quickly grabbed my arms.

"I don't think that's a good idea." She expressed.

"Why not?" I argued.

"You haven't seen the guy in two years and you guys didn't exactly leave things on a good note. He's most likely going to slam the door on you and it's not like you reached out to him after his mom's accident."

I glared. "It's because I didn't know"

"I know," She sighed, "I mean this in the nicest way but Kass, you are the most self-absorb person I know."

"Gee thanks." I scoffed. "You know I changed"

"I know but what happened to Asher's mom everyone heard about it even us Jefferson kids but of course you were focus on how you lost your popularity in matter of seconds that you weren't even aware of your surroundings."

"Thank you for your kind words." My glare hardened. I yanked my arms away from her. "If you excuse me, I am going to look for Jonah and I am going to see Asher. You can either sit here to come up with more kind words for me or come with me. Either way I don't give a fuck."

"Now you're mad" I ignored her.

Of course, I was mad. These couple of years I have tried my hardest to change my outlook on life and changed the kind of person I was. Sophia was right, I could be self-absorbing and bitchy at times but she's my best friend, she should have my back not stab it.

I followed where I last seen Jonah walk towards and thankfully, he was easy to spot. He was sitting at one of the lodge surrounded by a group of people that looked familiar, but I couldn't put my finger to why they did. As I got closer, it became clear to me that they looked like they went to Lincoln high.

"Jonah!" I called out, trying to get his attention. Sophia trailed beside me.

His head snapped my way and he left his friends to meet me halfway. "What's up?" He asked, shifting his gaze back and forth towards Sophia and me.

"I wanted to talk to you about Asher." I got straight to the point.

"Easy." Sophia whispered.

Jonah went from giving us his famous lopsided grin to glaring at me in matter of seconds the moment he heard Asher's name. "What about him?"

"I heard about what happened and—"

"Who hasn't?"

"Right", I laughed nervously, "I wanted to go see him, but I didn't know what his address was, and I was wondering if you could—"

"No and I could tell you right now that he doesn't want to see anybody especially not you." He turned to leave but I quickly grabbed his arm to prevent him.

"Please Jonah," I begged, "I know I fucked up, but I want to make it up to him." He stared at me, hesitating whether to give me the information I was looking for.

I gave him my best puppy dog look.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PLEASE

VOTE (100)

COMMENT (5)

FOLLOW

Please check out my new book Roommates

Plot: After flunking out her freshman year in college, Abigail James is forced to move in with her brother, Spencer, and his best friend Jace. Jace has always seen Abigail as Spencer's annoying little sister who use to follow them everywhere but now shes all grown up. What happens when old feelings threaten to resurface?