Chapter XXXII

My sister left us with her servant

My sister left us with her servant. She didn't tell me where she'd go, but she just said she would live out his life with him. And maybe after she'd return. But I knew better. I knew something had been broken between us. She had taken in Frej immediately and I... Had failed her.

I just wanted to save her the heartache. I didn't want her to see someone she loved die. She wasn't a deity of Death and therefore she couldn't just turn him, like I had turned Frej. Not to mention, once you had chosen a servant's life, you couldn't just... Unchoose it.

Though the mark was gone, he'd never leave his silence behind. He'd be mute till the day he died. And he'd die sooner than we'd expect because time just runs differently when you have unlimited amounts of it.

Frej still didn't understand that. He was happy for my sister. He wanted her to at least have those 50 summers of happiness with her own lover. He didn't understand how long she'd have to live without him after. Frej didn't understand anything.

The years passed nonetheless. We appeared at gatherings, people came to us, and we fell into a very comfortable rhythm. I made sure no one talked of my new status around Frej. I didn't want him to know I had given up a very prestigious future for him. Mostly because I don't think he'd understand. I could've been the new Death, once Death's time came to an end. Everything came to an end at some point and I would've been her successor. But no more. Now I was nothing but her slave. I was to appease her every whim. I showed at all of the gatherings now, in her place, but not as her heir. But as her damn servant.

She'd show up for a very short moment, tell me to go here or there, and then she'd disappear without even letting me respond. But still... I'd choose this a thousand times over, as long as I could wake up next to Frej every night.

Even despite him being angry with me because of Zitzi, I was still convinced I had made the right choice. And it would only be me and him for the rest of our lives. There would be no other subjects for my brood. Just me and him.

"What's this called?" he asked and picked a wildflower from the garden.

"Bluebell," I replied and smiled.

"I can see why," he laughed and handed the flower to me. "When will you have to leave?"

"In a moment. I'll be gone for a couple of days. No longer."

"It's okay. I have Alf here to entertain me." Frej winked at me and grinned over at Alf, who was silently shadowing us. He was never far behind Frej. I think he genuinely liked the company of my husband. I had even once caught them sharing a cup of tea in the kitchen. I had never seen Alf drink or eat anything, so I was very surprised by the sight.

"I just wish you didn't have to leave." His smile faded and he took my hand in his. "I grow lonely."

"I know, lover. But I have to," I said and kissed his cheek. "I can't slack off on my responsibilities forever."