Chapter XXIII

Zitzi came first. She got the chamber next to ours, the two connected by another secret door in the wall. We were both overly excited about living in the castle together, liking how we could go exploring together.

The next to come was a cousin and an uncle. The uncle looked much like Ton, while the cousin was almost an exact copy of Zitzi. But that's where the likeness to both of them stopped. They regarded me with the same cool looks when they arrived in the entrance hall.

"We were under the impression you wouldn't bring that here," the uncle said and nodded towards me.

"Frej speaks our language. If you wish to talk about him, you can address him," Xipe replied coolly. He had his hand in mine, making sure to send a clear message to them, we were together.

"I do not wish to make anyone unhappy," I said and tried to get the words as correct as I could. "I just wish to be here with my husband."

Xipe took a small step closer to me. "You see? No reason for hostility."

"We know what you do with people who disagree with you, Tec," the cousin said. "But you cannot ask us to accept this. We'll respect it, but we can't accept it."

"Rich coming from you, dear cousin. Considering you share your bed with our uncle." Xipe's voice was completely relaxed. He smiled a little, seemingly amused with the entire situation.

"Just so," the cousin said and smiled a little back. "We will retreat to our chambers and perhaps we can share blood later."

"Of course. We'll be waiting for you."

They both left Xipe and me in the hall and I took a breath of relief.

"Don't worry lover, you did fine," Xipe said and squeezed my hand. "They're all beneath you. Remember that."

I nodded a little hesitantly. "I just wish there was something I could do to prove that I don't want to disrupt anything. I just want to be with you."

"And that's what they have a problem with, lover. You know this," he murmured and kissed me very softly. The kiss was one of love. I could feel it as he gently put his hand on my lower back and pulled me closer to him. "Come lover, let me draw you while you read," he whispered against my lips and I nodded. I wanted to hide away with him. Nothing sounded better right now.

The morning came too soon and we were all gathered in the dining room

The morning came too soon and we were all gathered in the dining room. I sat between Xipe and Zitzi, with Teo, the uncle and the cousin on the other side. I still hadn't gotten their names and I didn't feel very much inclined to ask them.

"So, uncle. Tell me how far you've travelled this time," Zitzi tried, as the atmosphere just got more and more sombre.

"We didn't travel far. Francia and Spain only this time."

"Oh. And how was Spain? I hear many great things about the country." Zitzi leaned a little forward, genuinely looking interested.

"It was alright. Warm."

Her back bumped back against the backrest of her chair. I took a sip of my goblet and tried to not look up from the table top. I just wanted the ground to open up and suck me in, so I could disappear from here. I hated this. They obviously didn't like me so I couldn't understand why Xipe was pushing them to spend time with me.

I had Zitzi and him. What did I need these people for?

"Have you ever been Frej?" Zitzi tried again.

"No, I've never been outside of Dania before. But my village has been to England many times," I replied and looked up to meet her gaze.

"Oh, how come?" Zitzi asked sweetly.

"Uh... To raid the villages," I murmured.

I heard a snort come from across the table. I looked up and saw Xipe's uncle look at me with a look that could probably kill me. If looks could kill.

"What?" I asked, getting more and more tired of them looking at me like that without even knowing the first thing about me.

"Raids? What do they do on these raids?" he asked and crossed his arms over his chest.

"Kill all the citizens and take their gold. Sometimes they take slaves. Much like these servants." I sent him a cool look and motioned towards the servants at the door with my hand.

Xipe cleared his throat and was fast to cover his mouth with his hand, so no one could see he was laughing. But I saw it.

"And how many have you killed on these raids then?" the uncle tipped his head to the side and smiled coolly at me.

"I was the seer's apprentice. I didn't go on raids."

"So you speak of conquests that aren't your own as your own then? You do this often?"

"I wasn't-"

"And what did you do as the seers apprentice? Worship gods that don't exist?"

"I-"

"Well, what could I truly expect from savages like you?" The uncle sent me a bored look.

"At least I don't judge people I don't even know!" I growled angrily and slammed my hands down on the table. They all looked wide-eyed at me. "From the moment I rose, people have been judging me. Get your own goddamn lives and let me and my husband live ours!"

I rose to my feet and would've dramatically stormed out of the room, if Xipe hadn't stopped me.

"Wait, Fakkel," he said softly. "So, I guess you can finally see that my husband is more than just my whore as you called him earlier. He's quite capable of other things. And now I'll go and run my tongue over every inch of his body. Goodnight."

He led me out of the room and I felt overly giddy about it. I did not deserve this man whatsoever.