Chapter XXII

It was time to move. I wasn't sure I wanted to, but Xipe ensured me the estate he had up north was much larger and better than this one. More secluded too. It would be safer for us up there, as there had been reports of a deity's house being burned down close to our house. The deity wasn't home and no one was harmed, but still... Xipe wasn't taking any chances and I thought that was wise. Especially with another deity having died in my arms. We needed to not be here right now.

We packed all the stuff we wanted to bring to the new estate, packed it on a carriage and had the servants ride besides the carriage and one to drive it too. It took two full days before we made it and if I had been impressed with the first house then this... This was something else.

It had towers! Actual towers. It was entirely made of grey stones, no wood on the outside. All of the windows had stained glass in them. It looked like something from a dream with the tall towers almost touching the sky. My eyes widened and I grabbed Xipe and pulled him to me.

"Tell me this is a castle."

"Yes, lover. This is a castle. Albeit a small one." He kissed my cheek, smiling so his teeth touched my skin too. "It is my family's estate. You will meet more of my relatives here."

"How many do you have?"

"Many. Uncles, aunts and cousins." He took my hand in his, lacing his fingers with mine. "Come, lover. Let me show you to our chambers."

He led me inside a grand entrance hall, lit up by what must've been a thousand candles. Servants were ready by the bottom of a wide staircase,to serve us.

"Tec! Long time, no see!" a voice called out. A man emerged from a room, smiling widely at my husband. He had the same dark skin as the others in my new family, but this man was much thinner than both Ton, Xipe and Itzpa. He looked almost sickly.

"Teo!" Xipe exclaimed and embraced the man. "It's been too long, cousin."

"That it has. I've been very preoccupied with matters at home. You know how it is." He patted Xipe's arm and then his gaze drifted to me. I cast my eyes down to the floor, trying to show the new deity some respect. "I heard rumours of you having acquired a subject. I did not expect a pagan to be your first."

"Frej has been the best possible subject I could've hoped for," Tec said and grabbed my hand. "So good, I decided to marry him."

I dared to look up at the deity. He narrowed my eyes at me.

"What makes this boy so special?" he asked and sent me a scrutinising glare.

"You'll see soon enough. We're both tired after our journey and wish to rest in our chambers," Xipe said politely, but I could hear the iciness in his voice. He was not happy with his cousin's reaction to me.

"Don't let me keep you then," Teo said and whipped around, stalking back to the room he had emerged from earlier.

"Come." Xipe pulled on my hand and led me up the very large staircase.