Chapter XIX

I was pacing back and forth next to the bed my lover was occupying

I was pacing back and forth next to the bed my lover was occupying. He had been asleep for three days and three nights now. How long did he need to heal? I needed him to wake up.

"It's time," Ton said.

I nodded. I crouched down next to Frej, bit down on my wrist and let my blood drip into his mouth. He swallowed but didn't wake. His most basic instincts were still intact, and that was a good sign according to my brother.

"Why would she do something like this?" Zitzi asked. "She's our cousin. She wouldn't want for something like this to happen."

"She wanted exactly that to happen. She cursed him, Zitzi. She knew Tec would eventually feed on him, making him even more subjectable to the curse. What baffles me is how fast it worked. Has Frej not been feeding?"

I kissed my lover softly as I removed my wrist from his mouth. "I don't think he feeds on anyone but me. But he says he does."

"He has lost a lot of weight," Zitzi said and knelt down beside me. "He shouldn't be losing weight if he was feeding."

"I know," I breathed. "But he said he was. I trusted him."

"We all did. Why would he lie?" Ton asked and sat down on the other side of the bed, the mattress dipping under his weight.

"He doesn't like how we have servants," I grumbled.

Ton rolled his eyes and tsked. "Well, he'll have to get over that notion, unless he wishes to die. Your blood alone can't sustain him for longer periods of time, not to mention... We don't know what it has done to him already."

"We do know," Zitzi murmured and gently brushed some red locks away from Frej's forehead. "He's very strong. You've felt the power flowing in his veins. The bond is strong between the two of you and the stronger it grows, the stronger he grows." She sighed deeply. "Why do you think we're advised not to forge a blood bond with our subjects?" She glanced at me.

"I thought it was prejudice," I whispered. I hadn't known it was truly fear that had turned my own makers against me. They feared what Frej could turn into.

"He is so very pure," my sister continued. "These tattoos. They purify him. I've studied them for months. Those and your blood alone have saved him from starvation. Tec." She looked up at me. "Did Death truly ask you to turn this boy?"

Air hitched in my throat. "No," I whispered.

"You chose himself yourself?" Ton asked softly.

I nodded and looked back at Frej. "I had to. They burned him. He was still within my reach when I approached him and... I loved him from afar for far longer than he knows. I couldn't just let him die."

Zitzi put her hand on my shoulder. "We'll keep your secret, brother. Of course." She glanced up at our brother who nodded so fiercely the bed shook.