Home

Aaron

Father was going mental.

"Grab me the schematics for the underground tunnels!" He shouted at me, slamming his fist for the hundredth time on the large oak desk.

I sighed, turning and shuffling through the wooden filing cabinet. With no luck, I walked across the room to the book shelf with rolled papers. Crouching, I scanned the blue mess.

He had locked himself in his study ever since Arabella had left, which was yesterday night. This afternoon, he had called me from class and demanded that I come see him.

I don't think I'll be returning from school anytime soon, I said to myself as I walked back to my dad.

"How the fuck did he get in ?!" My dad growled as his pale skinned, long, boney fingers darted out to snatch the sheet of blue rolled paper from my hand.

I didn't say anything. I was afraid anything would give me away. The sound of my voice, my eye contact, my mannerisms, my struggle of breath... he would figure something was up. So I kept shut, until absolutely necessary.

I could practically feel the sweat beads on my forehead.

He had asked me to help him figure this out, that he could trust no one if Arabella had been so easily taken. Mother had been out since dusk, scanning the perimeter with her pack of warriors she trained and trusted.

Or maybe, she was hiding from dads frantic behavior. I'd never seen him like this before, he was also so cool and calculating.

I mean, not that I could blame him. His heir- his daughter- was "kidnapped" by his biggest enemy.

"I thought I killed him!!!!! I thought he didn't have a mate!!!!" My dad roared to the ceiling, and I gulped down my fear. He wouldn't hurt me, but I was really starting to worry about the old candle stick lighting above my head. His roar shook the chandelier of candles, and the squeaking of the chain had me taking a few steps to the side, just incase.

I think he was talking about Xander's father.

After his roar died down, his face of anger loosened, along with his tense shoulders. His body went limp as he slouched into his office chair. He shut his eyes in pain and brought a hand up to cover them. Maybe he was crying, and didn't want me to see.

Ever so lightly, he whispered, "I should have hidden them better."

I frowned. Did he mean Arabella and Melanie? He could have hidden Arabella, but then she would never have properly been able to take the throne. A pack wouldn't gather around someone they never heard of. And Melanie was just a regular pack member, in one of the most prestigious packs in the country. There was no way to hide her, unless he hid the existence of the whole pack.

So who was he talking about?

"Aaron."

I blinked away my thoughts, looking back at my father. His eyes were cloudy, and red.

"You were friends with the girl taken, Melanie, was it?" He said slowly.

I nodded carefully.

"You can't tell her parents. The whole pack will go insane. Word will spread to other territories and will doubt our bloodline. You know that your sister previously planned to leave with her on a vacation of sorts. If anyone asks why they are both suddenly missing, this is what you tell them; they are out of territory on vacation. A relaxing-" My dad chocked on his words, tears welling up in his eyes once more. "- a relaxing vacation before Arabella is to start her internship with your mother."