Dinner

Xander

"No, no, no! That doesn't look right!" I fumbled around the bed, picking up several wine red and grey pillows, trying to rearrange them to my liking.

"Pull yourself together, Alpha." Grace sighed behind me. She was currently shuffling around to organize the closet and all the clothes we bought on Arabella and I's shopping trip.

"I can't! Everything has to be perfect! It's our first night together!" I emphasized, stepping back to view the pillow arrangement and growling when I realized it still sucked. With a swoosh of my hand, all the pillows were thrown on the opposite side of the room. "I need more options!!

Bro... chill. My wolf said with a roll of his eyes. But he knew he wasn't fooling anyone. That tail of his was wagging like crazy at the thought of our mate in our bed.

Tonight would be the night.

Hold on! We can't be sure of that! The animal inside me said, the excitement in his tone deceiving his true goal.

Yes, we can. We have maybe a week to work this out before the Alpha of Royal Bloodline comes to blow our door down. Plus- it's been about a week since we've met. Something in her body has to be clicking. I responded stubbornly, walking out of the room barefoot and calling down the hall for another set of pillows to be brought up. Now that I was thinking about it- A light blue, maybe, would brighten the room and make her more comfortable.

I made sure to call out the color, remembering I had ordered an expanse of oddly named colors the night Arabella agreed to try to sleep in my bed.

"No offense, Alpha, but you might just be sleeping tonight." My Beta said with a heave. I popped back into the room and scowled, watching her climb up the ladder to the shoe shelf and place some platinum heels at the top. I made sure Arabella didn't see me get those.

"Grace-" I started, but my ears twitched to hear someone approaching outside.

This was definitely not a conversation I wanted the common pack to hear.

A male wolf came in, face hidden by the heap of pillows. He walked in, craning his neck to the side to at least see where he was going. "Where would you like these, Alpha Xander?"

I studied the color before responding, looking around at the wooden walls and wondering if it was a good contrast. I looked at the fur carpets and the headboard. Was this blue really what I wanted?

I could smell the sweat forming on the young man's skin as he waited for my order.

"Uh, yes, on the bed please." I decided, nodding and waving towards the large square cushion. I wasn't sure if Grace could also hear his relieved sigh or the skip of his heartbeat.

The man quickly bowed to me and left he room speed walking, trying to seem as if he moved with purpose. But I think we both knew he was just afraid of me- for some reason. I mean, all I asked for was pillows, not his dick on a platter.

Why was everyone, except maybe Grace, afraid of me now? Was my wolf really that bad?

Impossible.

"No. She wants to be with me." I said on impulse, shaking my head and trying to patch up my own thoughts. If my pack was afraid of me, I knew I could gain their confidence back again. But if my mate got scared and decided she didn't want me, that would be a different story.