History

Xander stiffened against me, and I closed my eyes.

Arabella you dumb hoe you could've phrased it better. But noooooo you just had to blurt it out like that. Gah, think for once!

There were my thoughts as I anxiously waited for any sign from him.

"Yes." Xander said softly, and if it wasn't for my ears on his chest, I wouldn't have heard it.

My wolf whined at his answer. I guess both of us didn't want it to be true. It made everything so much more complicated.

"What do you want to do about it?" I said cautiously, treading on unknown waters.

I felt him shrug, heard him sigh deeply.

I furrowed my brows, feeling annoyed by his effort or lack there of.

"You could become a member of my pack. What was your ranking before you left yours?" I said, racking my brain for a quick solution as it seemed like he wasn't bothered to look for one.

I wasn't sure what I was offering, or if I could actually make it happen, but I would offer anything for him to stay.

"I don't think it's that simple." I heard him say, and I relucatnly leaned away to see his features. His face was a picture of uncertainty, brows furrowed and lips down in a slight frown.

"Why not?" I challenged, feeling the prick of feistiness inside of me.

"You don't know me, that's why." He said firmly, his frown deepening.

"Why don't you tell me?" I pushed, lifting a brow. His eyebrows lifted slightly in surprise, and he blinked.

The corner of his mouth quirked up, and he shook his head. "You're so cute when you're pushy."

"Don't change the subject!" I huffed, slapping his chest lightly although the compliment did excite me.

Still smiling, he shook his head and released me. Even though this blanked covered me, I found it unbearably cold without him holding me.

He must've seen it on my face, because he lifted a hand and lightly pinched my cheek. Teasingly, he said, "Aw princess, don't be upset."

"How can I not? This," I motioned between us both. "Isn't going to work unless we both put some effort into it."

"I think you should look more into me before you actually decide if you want this." He said slowly, carefully, chewing on his bottom lip and somehow making his worrisome face even more beautiful.

"I don't need to know your past-" I started, but was interrupted by his prompt finger in my face.

"It's my present situation." He said, giving me a lopsided frown.

"Then tell me you present situation!" I hissed, backing up further and stomping my foot like a toddler about to have a tantrum. 

Xander sighed and ran his hand roughly through his hair. He looked around, as if trying to find the words to say that would help me explain. But I didn't want an explanation, I wanted the truth. I wanted to know who he was.

"I don't have time to explain it right now, any second now-" His shaky, frustrated voice was cut off by the long, cold howl in the distance.

It sent a chill down to the pit in my stomach. Somehow, someway, I knew what that howl meant.

Intruder. My wolf said with a sneer, threatened at the call. Our mate shouldn't be considered an intruder. It was his right to be here, but for some reason, he was too stubborn to realize it.