Murphy's Law

I had already given the water to Monty and now I was just walking around the camp, helping here and there, where people needed me. Suddenly I heard Octavia calling my name.

"Yes?" I said looking at her.

"Come! We need to tell you something!" She started pulling me, while Jasper looked confused.

After a few minutes, we were in a tent with Clarke and Bellamy too. She gave a knife to Clarke, who stayed silent for a few seconds.

"This knife was made of metal from the drop-ship." She said. Making everyone seem even more nervous. I moved my back, nervous, knowing what was about to happen.

"What do you mean?" Jasper asked, even more scared than before.

"Who else knows about this?" Bellamy asked, roughly.

"No one. We brought it straight here." Octavia answered, looking at her brother.

"Clarke?" Jasper asked, fear clear in his voice.

"It means the Grounders didn't kill Wells. It was one of us." Clarke said and we all stayed in silence. I had to at least try to stop her from being dumb.

"So, there's a murderer in the camp?" Jasper asked.

"There's more than one murderer in this camp. This isn't news. We need to keep it quiet." Bellamy was not wrong, but I didn't think anyone handled this the right way.

Clarke tried to leave the tent but Bellamy stopped her.

"Get out of my way, Bellamy." She tried.

"Clarke, be smart about this. Look at what we've achieved... the wall, the patrols. Like it or not, thinking the Grounders killed Wells is good for us." He answered.

"Besides," I tried. "Crowds make wrong decisions, they'll freak out, maybe kill the person, please Clarke, let's think this straight before making any decisions."

Even Bellamy seemed surprised with me being on his side.

"(Y/N), can't you see he is just trying to defend his own leadership?" She said looking at me and then turning to him. "Oh, good for you, you mean. What... keep people afraid and they'll work for you? Is that it?"

"Yeah, that's it." He said. "But it's good for all of us. Fear of the Grounders is building that wall. And besides, what are you gonna do... just walk out there and ask the killer to step forward? You don't even know whose knife that is."

"Oh, really? J.M. John Murphy. The people have a right to know." She answered, proudly.

"You don't even know if he had it at the time." I started but before she could even hear me she had already left. "Okay, fine. Make the wrong choice, be dumb." I whispered to myself.

I walked outside, following Clarke, trying to stop her but failing.

"No water till this section is up! What? What are you staring at, huh?" He made a kid drop his water and that led to a fight between two boys, he was really trying his hardest to be hated.

"You son of a bitch!" Clarke said, attacking him.

"What's your problem?"

"Recognize this?" She showed him the knife and he was clearly confused.

"It's my knife. Where'd you find it?"

"Where you dropped it after you killed Wells." She almost screamed, with everyone hearing.

I facepalmed. "Great, here we go." I thought.

"Where I what? The Grounders killed Wells, not me." He said, in surprise. Meanwhile, Octavia, Bellamy, and Jasper, who came after me, had arrived.