Ch. 16

Suddenly, from either side of Night, four wolves sprung out. It was Jaw, Snow, Bone and Snap. They ran towards the bison, not at full speed but with purpose. The bison spotted them and neighed and bayed. They turned to face the wolves, some kept munching at the ground, pounding their great feet into the snow. A large bison, covered in small flaked of snow, glared at Snap angrily. Jaw approached a large bison who stomped his foot down. Jaw leapt back quickly, his eyes, on the large creature. Snow slunk into the group of bison but two large bison chased her out. Bone eyed another bison and her calf. She stomped her foot hard onto the ground and pawed at the snow. The calf whimpered. Snow growled but the mother charged at her and Snow had to run out of the way. Bone stayed at the front of the herd, where a few bison were staring at him defiantly. Night didn't understand what was happening. They had had the element of surprise. Why hadn't they just attacked. He opened his mouth to ask Red but he saw Red's look of concentration. He glanced at Strike. She had a look of hunger and her eyes were filled with sharp energy. She looked about to jump right into the hunt. Sky had her eyes firmly on the calf and she didn't look very happy. Runner was concentrated as well, an excited glint in his eyes. Then Red spotted him. Red suddenly straightened up and his ears were pricked. This was a sign. Night craned his neck up to see. And he saw. There in the middle of the herd was a large bison, limping. Night knew it was the perfect prey. He knew they were lucky. Red knew it too. They had found their victim. Night waited to see what Red would do. Suddenly, Red sprang out of the ditch and howled. 

             "Left hind leg injured!" he howled. Bone, Jaw, Snow and Snap pricked their ears and their attentions snapped to the middle of the herd. The bison brayed and swished their tails defiantly. Red leapt towards the first bison blocking his way and snapped his jaw. The bison didn't move, just dug his foot into the ground and pawed angrily. Red didn't care. He growled and growled. Then, Night spotted out of the corner of his eye, Daisy. She had crept out of her small dip in the ground and was slowly crawling towards the bison. Red growled and tried to dodge into the herd. Night's heart raced and he almost jumped up to say stop. Immediately, a bison stepped in front of Red and started to charge. Jaw joined Red's side. He snapped and leapt at the bison's feet to nip at their foot but and the bison would retaliate. Then Snap joined them. She did the same, working with Red and Jaw. Snow and Bone stayed where they were, occasionally, dodging into the herd but leaping out before the bison could harm them. They just hung about outside. Then Night spotted out of the corner of his eye Point. Point was creeping towards the herd as well, extremely slowly, his belly pressed to the ground and his ears flat against his head. Daisy had almost reached the bison herd. They had not noticed her. Soon, Point was half way across towards the bison. Then Storm and River started creeping after Point, keeping their distance and going extremely slow. If one bison turned towards them, they would freeze and flatten themselves to the ground. There was no room for mistakes. After a while, Point, Daisy, Storm and River were right at the edge of the herd, crouching unseen and unheard. Then Red started to bark along with Jaw, Bone, Snow and Snap. This was the signal.