Ch. 7

Night woke up to the hooting of owls. He opened his eyes and saw his siblings and Eagle asleep. He crept out of the den and stretched, yawning. The night was calm and a cool breeze blew. The moon shone high in the sky, glowing warmly. Stars dotted the sky, like little insects. Night trotted down the hill, and stumbled. He rolled down the hill and groaned as he got up, his body ached but the chirping of crickets calmed him. The grass danced in the breeze. 

            "Little cubs shouldn't be out at night," came a gruff voice. Night jumped, scared. He turned around, lying in the shadows beside a rock at the foot of the hill was Half Moon. 

            "Sorry," mumbled Night. "I'll go back to Eagle now." 

           "No need for that. You're already here," Half Moon said, no emotion in his face but somehow, Night felt a tingle or warmth and safety. 

           "What are you doing here?" asked Night instead. "Why aren't you in your den?" 

           "I liked sleeping under moon and the stars," said Half Moon. 

            "They are pretty," agreed Night. 

            "Not just that," replied Half Moon gruffly. He got up and padded towards Night. Night looked around frantically for a moment, scared. "I'm not going to eat you." Night looked down at his feet, blushing. 

            "Come," said Half Moon. Night, curious, trotted after Half Moon as he brought him back up the hill. Then he lay down, watching the night world below. Night slipped beside him. "Look, a herd of deer, over there." Night squinted and saw a few spots in the distance, a few moving slowly. 

             "Listen," Half Moon instructed. Night pricked his ears. He heard the hooting of owls, the distant rushing of water, the occasional call of a deer or bison, the swaying grass, brushing against each other and the chirping of crickets. "Night is almost as lively as day." Night nodded. 

             "Look," Half Moon nodded to the sky, "the moon. Sometimes, mostly at full moon, we howl. The night feels alive to other wolves then. They come to see the moon and to show other packs they are strong. But the night is always alive. We should howl at it every night. I'm sure other packs do, for example, most of the time, I heard the Mountain Pack howling. But not us. The Valley Pack never howls." 

             "We don't need to," came a gruff voice. Night turned to see Red, brow furrowed, walking towards them. He nuzzled Night. "You should be with Eagle and your siblings." Night sighed. 

             "He's very good here," Half Moon shrugged. Red frowned but didn't seem to want to argue with Half Moon. 

             "Just because you love the night. Night doesn't have to. You don't need to force your ways on him," Red finally said then he prodded Night. "Go to sleep." 

             "You should be hunting right now," Half Moon said then glanced at Night. "Come back here." Night unsurely, crawled back to Half Moon's side. 

            "We hunted today," replied Red. "Come on Night." Half Moon curled his tail around Night. 

           "Leave him," he said. Red narrowed his eyes. "We're just talking." Red sighed. 

           "It's alright Red," assured Night. "You can go to sleep." Red frowned and let out a small growl but slunk away. Night lay beside Half Moon for a few moments in silence. 

          "The Moon will always be there," continued Half Moon finally. "Even when there are clouds. The Moon, let's you gaze upon it. To show you it's warmth. Its hope. Unlike the sun, too bright, too hot, only wants to show off. It gives out warmth but too much warmth and there's drought. It shines so bright you are blinded when you look at it." Night heard a slow breathing behind them and turned to see Red, watching them from a distance. 

           "I think Red wants you to sleep," laughed Half Moon without humour. "You should go now." Night nodded and trotted to Red. Red glared at Half Moon then led Night to Eagle's den. 

          "Goodnight," he said gruffly. "If you wake, come to me." Night nodded and slipped into the den where his siblings and Eagle were sleeping soundly.