Ch. 1

A small red pup opened his eyes. His fur soft and puffed out. A warm tongue licked the red pup. The small pup takes in his surroundings. He was in a small and warm den. Rocky walls on each side. Squirming pups to both his sides. And his mother. Sleek light grey. Her eyes were light green and shining. The red pups eyes were wide open as he stared into his mother's eyes. His mother frowned. His eyes were not blue, they were black, like a night sky with no stars. 

           "Night," said the wolf. "Your name will be Night." Night burped and climbed over his siblings to nestle against his mother. Night gave a small growl which sounded more like a whimper as his sister, a black pup pressed her foot into his face. 

           "Eagle, how are the pups?" came a concerned voice. Night turned his head away from his sister's paws and saw a large sable coloured wolf. His eyes were sharp but concerned. He knelt down and gazed into Night's eyes. 

           "I named him Night," explained Night's mother. Night crawled nearer to his mother, feeling scared. The large wolf's gaze lingered on Night. 

           "His eyes are..., beautiful," said the male wolf. Night cowered near his mother. "Is he scared of me?" 

           "Night, don't be scared. This is your father, Red," said Night's mother, Eagle. Night wasn't sure. He didn't like the big and threatening wolf standing in his den. 

           "What are you going to name here?" Red asked, nodding to Night's sister, the black pup. 

           "Well, seeing how she's always moving and pushing around the others, I'm going to name here Strike," said Eagle. Red nodded his approval. 

           "She's going to be a real leader," he said. 

           "They all are," said Eagle sternly. Red smiled and settled down next to his mate. 

           "We should name her Sky," he said, nodding to one of the light grey pups. "She looks just like you and Eagles belong in the sky." Eagle smiled and nodded, giving her mate a quick lick on the cheek. 

            "How about this one?" she nodded to a darker grey pup. He wriggled around, his paws scrambled to get away from Red's stare. 

             "Runner," grinned Red. Eagle laughed but nodded. They watched their pups as they settled down to suckle. Night drank the warm sweet milk and felt the warmth of his mother and siblings around him. He felt safe and protected.