Hobo Heart

It was a winter afternoon. Like most winter afternoons it was overcast, cloudy with a bit of rain, the wind blew and the leaves rustled on the sidewalk as C.C. and her friend Elizabeth walked home from school.
"It was nice walking this way for a change." C.C. said as the two strode along.
Elizabeth smiled "Thanks for joining me this way. I can't believe Britany didn't show again today. She didn't call or anything."

C.C. rolled her eyes "She probably skipped and went to the lake with Glen."
Elizabeth laughed "You're probably right. Alright well I'll see you tomorrow."
The two parted ways and C.C. continued. She had just a few more blocks till she was home.
As she walked along she saw a small scruffy dog pawing at something in the gutter.
"Hey little guy whatcha after?" she crouched down and saw a bone stuck in a crack.
C.C. pried it lose and the dog snatched it up and darted away, toward the alley.
The girl followed "Hey, don't I at least get to pet you?"
When she turned the corner she saw the dog chewing on the bone at the feet of a boy sitting on a milk crate. He was wearing a grey hoodie and dirty jeans. He was tall and lanky with white hair, crystal blue eyes, and a skull that seemed to be painted on his face.

"Well hello." C.C. said a little surprised "Is he your dog?"
The boy looked at C.C. with a puzzled expression. "Yes."
C.C. smiled "Can I pet him?"
Still confused the boy looked a C.C. closely "Sure...  Are you not sad?"
C.C. giggled as she pet the dog "Why would I be sad?"
"I don't know, everyone I meet is sad." Replied the boy.
C.C. frowned "Well that's horrible. Maybe if you didn't have a skull on your face people would be in a better mood around you. Its a little late for Halloween ya know." 

The boy shrugged "I can't help it. It's a part of me. I've never met anyone that's been happy before."
C.C. turned to look at the boy's face so she could inspect the skull. She reached out and placed a timid hand upon his cheek. She attempted to smear what she had thought to be paint, but realized that it was his skin.  She quickly dismissed the skull when her eyes met his . They were bright blue and appeared to illuminate at certain angles. She became disoriented and had to shake her head to clear her thoughts.
She fumbled and stuttered for words "Yuu  your eyes... uhm name... yeah What's your name?"
The boy smiled. "I don't think I have a name. I'm a Gemberling."
"A what?!" she replied.

"A Gemberling. I was created to serve a purpose." Replied the boy.
"What purpose?" C.C. inquired with a puzzled look.
"I don't think you'd want to know." He said as his eyes seemed to dim.
"Uuhm Oookay. So what do people call you?" C.C. asked becoming more confused.
"The only person who has ever called me anything was my creator and he only calls me gemebrling." He said with hesitation. 

"That makes me sad. You need a name..." C.C. said before being interrupted by the boy.
"NO!" as he reached out and grabbed her arm. "Never be sad! My heart couldn't take it."
C.C. was startled "Why couldn't your heart take it? You just met me."
"You're special. Your heart is special. My heart has no place to call home and you have made it feel something....it's never felt anything before." the boy said.
"Hobo Heart!" C.C. said with a smile.
"Huh?" the boy asked confused.
"That's your name! The boy who's heart has no home. Hobo Heart." C.C. explained. "And now that you have a name, you and I can be friends."

The boy smiled "Yes. Yes I like it, my name. Hobo Heart."
"Okay, well I have to get home. You'll be here tomorrow so I can see you right?" asked C.C.
"Yes. Of course." said Hobo Heart with a smile.
C.C. continued her walk home but not before looking over her shoulder one last time to inspect the mysterious boy.

The next day C.C. came to the alley to see Hobo. When she rounded the corner he was sitting there on his milk crate. He looked up and saw her and his heartbeat began to quicken.
"You  actually came back?" He asked with a smile.
"Well of course I did silly. Now lets go do something besides sit in this alley." C.C. said as she blushed.
"What could we do?" Asked Hobo.